Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Plans > Experimental Engines
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
arborpress
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 30
Likes Given: 1

Default Experimental Engines

Has anybody built any experimental/ prototype design engines? I'm just curious because I'm very interested in all the concept rotary/super efficiency/crazy claims engines and I'm currently in the process of designing my own. (which I swear I will actually build)
But anyway, from seeing so many conceptual videos of cool engine ideas, but very few running prototypes, I wonder what these people are waiting for. I mean, everyone here could probably build them in a matter of days by simply looking at the conceptual animations and seeing how it works.
Has anybody done anything like that? Some examples of the concepts I'm talking about are the Scuderi, libralato, Liquidpiston, Rad Max, astremo, Revetec, Ox2, Star Rotor, Anroon, Hefley, or even the Wankel engine. Some of these are truly fascinating mechanisms.



__________________
arborpress is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
Brian Rupnow
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Barrie, Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,051
Liked 2322 Times on 2072 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f31/brian-builds-atkinson-engine-18313/


__________________

Brian Rupnow
www.rupnowdesign.com

Brian Rupnow is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
dman
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 217
Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arborpress View Post
Has anybody built any experimental/ prototype design engines? I'm just curious because I'm very interested in all the concept rotary/super efficiency/crazy claims engines and I'm currently in the process of designing my own. (which I swear I will actually build)
But anyway, from seeing so many conceptual videos of cool engine ideas, but very few running prototypes, I wonder what these people are waiting for. I mean, everyone here could probably build them in a matter of days by simply looking at the conceptual animations and seeing how it works.
Has anybody done anything like that? Some examples of the concepts I'm talking about are the Scuderi, libralato, Liquidpiston, Rad Max, astremo, Revetec, Ox2, Star Rotor, Anroon, Hefley, or even the Wankel engine. Some of these are truly fascinating mechanisms.
i dunno about the others but wenkels are tough because of the geometry of the housing is complex. it's not just 2 ajacent circles that overlap with a radius. it has to do with how a point on a cirle rolls around another. it's a hard thing to make and a hard thing to measure to know if you got it right.
__________________
dman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
stevehuckss396
Senior Member
 
stevehuckss396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 3,211
Liked 419 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Personally I have no interest in experimenting. My main focus is building working MODELS of the engines that are a part of my past. Usually the engines that were the most fun for me. My Chevy V8 that made 1225 horsepower. The engine that was on my mini bike. The engine that is in my 1928 ford. Not the 4 cylinder in my 2009 ford focus.

__________________
stevehuckss396 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 12:36 AM   #5
myrickman
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 160
Liked 66 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default Experimental engines

Here is one I made a few years ago. It uses epicyclic gearing to operate the exhaust valve. The idea came from Hiscox book on gas engines. I made patterns for the gearing, had them cast and finished them on the rotary table. It is a hit and miss but in this video, it is running on the cock only. The steam frame is an old Orr and Sembower which was missing the cylinder and links.

__________________
myrickman is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
arborpress
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 30
Likes Given: 1

Default

I forgot about the Atkinson cycle! What a pretty engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
i dunno about the others but wenkels are tough because of the geometry of the housing is complex. it's not just 2 ajacent circles that overlap with a radius. it has to do with how a point on a cirle rolls around another. it's a hard thing to make and a hard thing to measure to know if you got it right.
Yeah, that's true, and probably almost impossible to mill a complex curve like that by hand. I've seen someone use a cnc to build one, but if I recall correctly, he never got it running. Couldn't get the seals to work properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehuckss396 View Post
Personally I have no interest in experimenting. My main focus is building working MODELS of the engines that are a part of my past. Usually the engines that were the most fun for me. My Chevy V8 that made 1225 horsepower. The engine that was on my mini bike. The engine that is in my 1928 ford. Not the 4 cylinder in my 2009 ford focus.
I do mean small scale models, by the way. But yeah, I understand completely. I've been preparing for a 1:4 Cosworth DFV build but just wondering about some other less traditional internal combustion engines
__________________
arborpress is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #7
old-and-broken
 
old-and-broken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 67
Liked 18 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Looks doable (by someone) probably not me

__________________
old-and-broken is offline  
4
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
windy
 
windy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 57
Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

In the UK there are bands on the tethered hydroplane scene that build homemade competition engines of IC and Steam power units.

We are always trying to push the limits for the love of speed.

Bob Kirtley designed his Flash steam engine that mine is loosely based on but with my own little tweaks.

Many engine designs have been tried in the past (steam) but with more modern materials etc. they have been given more power and are competitive with IC designs.

Myself I would like to try chemical produced steam to increase power but chemicals like concentrated Hydrogen Peroxide are not a thing the man in the street can purchase.

If I get my steam turbine finished I would need vast amounts of steam to be equal in power to my steam piston engine.

There are no limits to what can be thought of but cutting materials and running a finished product can be daunting after all the effort.

If we did not have an enquiring mind we would not progress.

Paul
__________________
windy is offline  
ronkh Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
arborpress
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 30
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-and-broken View Post
Looks doable (by someone) probably not me
Scuderi Cycle. It looks very doable, and it reminds me of the "twingle" engine. I don't know much about that one though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by windy View Post
In the UK there are bands on the tethered hydroplane scene that build homemade competition engines of IC and Steam power units.

We are always trying to push the limits for the love of speed.

Bob Kirtley designed his Flash steam engine that mine is loosely based on but with my own little tweaks.

Many engine designs have been tried in the past (steam) but with more modern materials etc. they have been given more power and are competitive with IC designs.

Myself I would like to try chemical produced steam to increase power but chemicals like concentrated Hydrogen Peroxide are not a thing the man in the street can purchase.

If I get my steam turbine finished I would need vast amounts of steam to be equal in power to my steam piston engine.

There are no limits to what can be thought of but cutting materials and running a finished product can be daunting after all the effort.

If we did not have an enquiring mind we would not progress.

Paul
Here in the U.S. I think the highest concentration of hydrogen peroxide commonly available is 3%. Maybe 80-90 cents for a 16oz bottle. But from what I understand, you can slowly heating it to just under 100C, just until you see bubbles form on the bottom, which will evaporate the water out (apparently H2O is slightly more volatile than H2O2) and you will end up with a higher concentration. You would end up with a much smaller amount, but hey, its relatively cheap.
__________________
arborpress is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
Philjoe5
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Philjoe5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southeastern, PA
Posts: 1,718
Liked 325 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default

When a solution of hydrogen peroxide is warmed up, this reaction occurs:

2 H2O2 = 2 H2O + O2


the gas bubbles you see are pure oxygen gas. They are the oxidant part of the combustion process. As soon as they find a fuel, the reductant, and some amount of energy (heat, spark etc.) away she goes.


You can't get a solution of hydrogen peroxide to be more concentrated by heating it.



Phil



__________________

Beware those who are often wrong, but never uncertain - B. Parker

Philjoe5 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
An experimental V-4 wobbler spuddevans A Work In Progress 47 08-31-2011 07:49 PM
An experimental engine arnoldb A Work In Progress 32 02-13-2011 05:51 PM
Experimental Crankshaft dvbydt Tips and Tricks 9 11-27-2010 09:30 PM
Not engines themselves but they do connect to engines....... Metal Mickey The Break Room 3 07-29-2008 03:20 AM
My engines (LTD and Lamina Flow Stirling Engines) PalmRunner Photos and Videos 17 03-02-2008 05:16 PM




- Top - Member List