Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Plans > Experimental Engines

Old 02-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
arborpress

Likes Given: 1

Default Experimental Engines

Has anybody built any experimental/ prototype design engines? I'm just curious because I'm very interested in all the concept rotary/super efficiency/crazy claims engines and I'm currently in the process of designing my own. (which I swear I will actually build)
But anyway, from seeing so many conceptual videos of cool engine ideas, but very few running prototypes, I wonder what these people are waiting for. I mean, everyone here could probably build them in a matter of days by simply looking at the conceptual animations and seeing how it works.
Has anybody done anything like that? Some examples of the concepts I'm talking about are the Scuderi, libralato, Liquidpiston, Rad Max, astremo, Revetec, Ox2, Star Rotor, Anroon, Hefley, or even the Wankel engine. Some of these are truly fascinating mechanisms.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
Brian Rupnow
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2322 Times on 2072 Posts
Likes Given: 23

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f31/brian-builds-atkinson-engine-18313/

Brian Rupnow
www.rupnowdesign.com

Old 02-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
dman

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arborpress View Post
Has anybody built any experimental/ prototype design engines? I'm just curious because I'm very interested in all the concept rotary/super efficiency/crazy claims engines and I'm currently in the process of designing my own. (which I swear I will actually build)
But anyway, from seeing so many conceptual videos of cool engine ideas, but very few running prototypes, I wonder what these people are waiting for. I mean, everyone here could probably build them in a matter of days by simply looking at the conceptual animations and seeing how it works.
Has anybody done anything like that? Some examples of the concepts I'm talking about are the Scuderi, libralato, Liquidpiston, Rad Max, astremo, Revetec, Ox2, Star Rotor, Anroon, Hefley, or even the Wankel engine. Some of these are truly fascinating mechanisms.
i dunno about the others but wenkels are tough because of the geometry of the housing is complex. it's not just 2 ajacent circles that overlap with a radius. it has to do with how a point on a cirle rolls around another. it's a hard thing to make and a hard thing to measure to know if you got it right.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
stevehuckss396

Liked 419 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Personally I have no interest in experimenting. My main focus is building working MODELS of the engines that are a part of my past. Usually the engines that were the most fun for me. My Chevy V8 that made 1225 horsepower. The engine that was on my mini bike. The engine that is in my 1928 ford. Not the 4 cylinder in my 2009 ford focus.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:36 AM   #5
myrickman

Liked 66 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default Experimental engines

Here is one I made a few years ago. It uses epicyclic gearing to operate the exhaust valve. The idea came from Hiscox book on gas engines. I made patterns for the gearing, had them cast and finished them on the rotary table. It is a hit and miss but in this video, it is running on the cock only. The steam frame is an old Orr and Sembower which was missing the cylinder and links.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
arborpress

I forgot about the Atkinson cycle! What a pretty engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
i dunno about the others but wenkels are tough because of the geometry of the housing is complex. it's not just 2 ajacent circles that overlap with a radius. it has to do with how a point on a cirle rolls around another. it's a hard thing to make and a hard thing to measure to know if you got it right.
Yeah, that's true, and probably almost impossible to mill a complex curve like that by hand. I've seen someone use a cnc to build one, but if I recall correctly, he never got it running. Couldn't get the seals to work properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehuckss396 View Post
Personally I have no interest in experimenting. My main focus is building working MODELS of the engines that are a part of my past. Usually the engines that were the most fun for me. My Chevy V8 that made 1225 horsepower. The engine that was on my mini bike. The engine that is in my 1928 ford. Not the 4 cylinder in my 2009 ford focus.
I do mean small scale models, by the way. But yeah, I understand completely. I've been preparing for a 1:4 Cosworth DFV build but just wondering about some other less traditional internal combustion engines

Old 02-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #7
old-and-broken

Liked 18 Times on 8 Posts

Looks doable (by someone) probably not me

Old 02-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
windy

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

In the UK there are bands on the tethered hydroplane scene that build homemade competition engines of IC and Steam power units.

We are always trying to push the limits for the love of speed.

Bob Kirtley designed his Flash steam engine that mine is loosely based on but with my own little tweaks.

Many engine designs have been tried in the past (steam) but with more modern materials etc. they have been given more power and are competitive with IC designs.

Myself I would like to try chemical produced steam to increase power but chemicals like concentrated Hydrogen Peroxide are not a thing the man in the street can purchase.

If I get my steam turbine finished I would need vast amounts of steam to be equal in power to my steam piston engine.

There are no limits to what can be thought of but cutting materials and running a finished product can be daunting after all the effort.

If we did not have an enquiring mind we would not progress.

Paul
Old 02-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
arborpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-and-broken View Post
Looks doable (by someone) probably not me
Scuderi Cycle. It looks very doable, and it reminds me of the "twingle" engine. I don't know much about that one though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy View Post
In the UK there are bands on the tethered hydroplane scene that build homemade competition engines of IC and Steam power units.

We are always trying to push the limits for the love of speed.

Bob Kirtley designed his Flash steam engine that mine is loosely based on but with my own little tweaks.

Many engine designs have been tried in the past (steam) but with more modern materials etc. they have been given more power and are competitive with IC designs.

Myself I would like to try chemical produced steam to increase power but chemicals like concentrated Hydrogen Peroxide are not a thing the man in the street can purchase.

If I get my steam turbine finished I would need vast amounts of steam to be equal in power to my steam piston engine.

There are no limits to what can be thought of but cutting materials and running a finished product can be daunting after all the effort.

If we did not have an enquiring mind we would not progress.

Paul
Here in the U.S. I think the highest concentration of hydrogen peroxide commonly available is 3%. Maybe 80-90 cents for a 16oz bottle. But from what I understand, you can slowly heating it to just under 100C, just until you see bubbles form on the bottom, which will evaporate the water out (apparently H2O is slightly more volatile than H2O2) and you will end up with a higher concentration. You would end up with a much smaller amount, but hey, its relatively cheap.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
Philjoe5
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 325 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 52

When a solution of hydrogen peroxide is warmed up, this reaction occurs:

2 H2O2 = 2 H2O + O2

the gas bubbles you see are pure oxygen gas. They are the oxidant part of the combustion process. As soon as they find a fuel, the reductant, and some amount of energy (heat, spark etc.) away she goes.

You can't get a solution of hydrogen peroxide to be more concentrated by heating it.

Phil

Beware those who are often wrong, but never uncertain - B. Parker

Quick Reply