Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > The Shop > Rod's Aussie Shed

Old 01-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
rodw

Liked 152 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default Rod's Aussie Shed

Hi guys I thought I better post up a picture of my shop. well we don't call it a shop in Australia, It has to be a shed. Mine is tiny weighing in at 2.4m x 4.8m. For those who still work in feet, I will leave it to you to multiply those numbers x 3.28 to work it out in feet!

It is a bit of a work in progress as I still have to add the roof to the materials rack I put down the side

Note the slab for the compressor I will put there one day You can see that I have already made provision to secure the roofing sheets to the fence. I built this shed myself from a Stratco kit and added a heap of shelves and benches at the time!

Anyway, enough of the boring stuff, come inside my mini shop (err shed)!

Up one end I have my welding station, band saw and drill press.

You will note the welding table is on (noisy) steel wheels so I can pull it out and away from the 200 amp MIG welder. You probably can't see it but on the back side of the table there is a vice mounted on a 50x50mm piece of SHS that I can remove if it gets in the way (eg. Like a tow bar with a 2" receiver). I had the top, corner braces and castor mounting plates laser cut so I did not have to buy a full sheet of steel!

I just moved the drill press to its current location as it was on the other side of the door beside my lathe but I am trying to reorganise my shop a bit to make way for some more room. The long term plan is to replace the drill press with a Seig X3 mill which is about the same size as the drill press. Behind the drill press is a small 6 tonne hydraulic press. My camping gear lives on the top shelf. The bandsaw can be pulled out to cut long stuff passed through the door way.

Anyway, on the other side of the door is my lathe. It is the same as the Smithy Midas 1220 3-in-1. I have tricked it out by adding a 4 jaw chuck, a quick change tool post and a 4" milling vice. There is a hardwood workbench up the end under the window.

On the other side is my grinding station and I keep a couple of 4" angle grinders behind the bench grinder.

For Gus's benefit the grey tool beside the grinder is a commercial diamond hone knife sharpener I bought at an auction brand new years ago for $26. What a bargain! It was worth 12 times that! It takes about 8-10 strokes to keep all my knives razor sharp!

The red tool chest is a new addition to let me put 3 layers of tools on my ever shrinking bench tops!

Anyway, the main reason I moved the drill press is that I am starting to think I should upgrade my lathe and eventually use a separate mill.

My local "candy store" (as Gus calls it) has some specials on at the moment and I think I can fit this one in if the budget allows
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L682

but if the wallet won't stretch, maybe I will make do with this one
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L141
which has roughly the same footprint. Decisions! Decisions! ANy help appreciated.

Any Aussies, lurking and looking for a used lathe, this one will be up for sale on eBay if I upgrade. I have just recently fitted all new spindle bearings and seals to it.

RodW
Brisbane, Australia
vehiclemods.net.au

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
gus
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 528 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 695

Send a message via Yahoo to gus

Hi Rod,
Your BandSaw,Diamond Knive Hone Machine,lathe,mill and welding trnasformer and a brand new shed makes me jealous.I think I'ii move over to Thornleigh,Sydney and buy the house(with a two car garage) next to big sister's house.Just imagine how many machine tools I could squeeze in.

Just mounted my new Makita Portable BandSaw on a cheap and nasty DIY table. See my post.

Saw a Rotary Knife Honing Machine at TokyuHands,Tokyo and it is not cheap.You got a bargain there.
The "Boss" wants her kitchen knives done up.

Gus,the Happy Boat-Fisherman and Happy Machinist.
(Jack of all Trades and Master of None)

People Like This 
Old 01-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
canadianhorsepower

Liked 150 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 651

hey Nice "shed" I have a craftex co89 (same as your L141) for sale it's excellent equipement.
It's funny cause I just replaceit with an L682 the main reason the l682 have to rod for different
thread and feed rate

cheers

Old 01-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
rodw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
Hi Rod,.
The "Boss" wants her kitchen knives done up.
But every time I sharpen the kitchen knives, my boss cuts her finger!

The electric hone is still the same sharpening process. Rub till edge feathers and then hone it off with the second plastic hone wheel. The first sharpen takes a while to get the angles right, but after that it is easy. You can keep it sharp just by rubbing on the plastic wheels, If you use a steel though, it wrecks the angles and you need to use the diamond wheel.

This is the one I have geez, $450 on Amazon!
http://www.chefschoice.com/page2d_m2000.html

The welder was another bargain which my bolt shop sold me and the offer was too good to refuse even if it weighs 90 kg!

RodW
Brisbane, Australia
vehiclemods.net.au

robcas631 Likes This 
Old 01-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
rodw

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianhorsepower View Post
hey Nice "shed" I have a craftex co89 (same as your L141) for sale it's excellent equipement.
It's funny cause I just replaceit with an L682 the main reason the l682 have to rod for different
thread and feed rate

cheers
Luc, good feedback thanks, the cheaper one is probably all I need, but the smaller one optioned up is much the same price, so I was hoping to find the extra $500.

RodW
Brisbane, Australia
vehiclemods.net.au

robcas631 Likes This 
Old 01-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
rcfreak177
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 56 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 43

G'day Rod.

nice shed you have there mate.

Great to see the camping gear stash'd up on the top shelf. Seig X3 machines go well, great bang for you'r buck.

I have had a super X3 for a few years and has never let me down yet. (Also from Hare and Forbes)

Do you have any projects on the go at the moment?

Baz.

Courage and confidence answered and there was nobody there.
robcas631 Likes This 
Old 01-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
metalmad
Project of the Month Winner!!!
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 291 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Send a message via Skype™ to metalmad

Hi Rod
Looks a nice cozy little hidy hole buddy complete with Home brew yet LOL
Nice one!
Pete

A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit!

Skype - metalmad11

robcas631 Likes This 
Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
rodw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak177 View Post
G'day Rod.

nice shed you have there mate.

Great to see the camping gear stash'd up on the top shelf. Seig X3 machines go well, great bang for you'r buck.

I have had a super X3 for a few years and has never let me down yet. (Also from Hare and Forbes)

Do you have any projects on the go at the moment?

Baz.
Baz, not quite. Does painting the house over Christmas count?

The Oz tent does not get much use these days, as we moved up in the world

Somewhere near Winton a couple of years ago on the back road to Birdsville.

We try to get away once a year.

Overnighter at Parachilna Gorge, Flinders Ranges about 3,000 km from home.

I joined this forum because I found the Ez runner plans but needed to get a few other projects out of the way first. Before I got to it, one of the bearings in my lathe let go, so that was quite a project!

A guy in my street has the Super X3 set up for CNC and reckons it is not rigid enough and gets chatter on parts. But then again he has a big mill beside it!

Anyway, I have all of the material here to try my hand at the Runner and bought set of reamers for the job. I will get to it eventually once I have my paying jobs up to date.

Quote:
Hi Rod
Looks a nice cozy little hidy hole buddy complete with Home brew yet LOL
Nice one!
Pete
Yes Pete, I should knock the dust off the homebrew, I have not used it for a while. I made a still about 10 years ago, sorry I don't have a good pic of it complete but here it is

The column is about 1100 mm long and filled with stainless steel pot scrubbers. It puts out 94% of the good stuff! Around 95% is the maximum you can get in theory without distilling in a vacuum.

Don't know if you know anything about these, but there is a coil of 1/4" pipe in the top section that you run cold water through to condense the vapour, (the pipes up the column are water inlet and outlet). A couple of needle valves regulate the mount that is fed back to the column and out to the bottle. You need to set it up to recover about 1 part in 4. You discard the first stuff (maybe 200 ml). The temp starts at 81 degrees C and rises to sit on 82 degrees during the run.

Before the temp gets to 84 degrees, you make the cut, but run it out and toss it in the pot on your next run.

Fractionating stills like this let the good stuff to condense on the way up, drip off the potscrubbers so it all gets distilled over an dover again for maximum purity. Purer it is, the less room for bad flavours.....

Maybe I should post it in the live steam forum do you think?

RodW
Brisbane, Australia
vehiclemods.net.au

People Like This 
Old 01-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
metalmad
Project of the Month Winner!!!
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 291 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Send a message via Skype™ to metalmad

ooooooooooh
I dooo like that Still
Pete

A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit!

Skype - metalmad11

robcas631 Likes This 
Old 01-19-2013, 12:41 AM   #10
rodw

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmad View Post
ooooooooooh
I dooo like that Still
Pete
Yes, it is a rewarding hobby. Just remember to water down before drinking!

Hmm, went to Hare and Forbes today to grab some countersink tools.

Ooops!!! Also came home with a stand for the AL320G (L141) lathe

The new lathe will follow when it comes into stock in a week or so.

It was the biggest I reckon I can fit in my shed and with 38mm spindle is definitely an upgrade from what I have. I figured the pick gears for threading I can live with because I have yet to cut a thread since I have had a lathe.

Once it is here my 3-in 1 will be up for sale to fund the purchase of a Seig X3. Probably during the Hare & Forbes March Sale. As my nice stand/cabinet has to go to make way for the new lathe (which is too big to fit on it), I will let some tooling go as a package so it will be a good starter pack for someone.

Sing out if you know someone that may be interested.

RodW
Brisbane, Australia
vehiclemods.net.au

robcas631 Likes This 

Quick Reply