Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Questions and Answers > Gnome Monosoupape rotary engine

Old 08-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
Wez1

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

Default Gnome Monosoupape rotary engine

I have detail CAD drawings available for an exact 1/3 scale model of this famous engine. No castings required. Would make an excellent long term project. Several under construction around the world. Mine has flown a Sopwith Pup many times.

Current project is a 1/3 scale Armstrong -Siddeley LynxIV radial. I hope to find a way of producing castings at a sensible price so others can make this model too. It is about 3/4 complete.

Am new to this site but will try to post a couple of photos.

Wez1

Attached Thumbnails
P1020115.jpg   front view.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
rhitee93
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 70 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 27

That is quite an engine. I'd love to see some build photos if you have them.

Please share the progress on your latest project as well. It sounds very interesting

-Brian

Old 08-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
ninefinger

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hi Wez1,

Please tell us more about the monosoupape engine - your mention of detail drawings has me very interested!

I would like to add it to the (growing) list of round engines I'd like to make (1/6 scale Wasp Jr. R-985 in progress, 1/4 scale Wright J5 castings on hand,..)

Regards,

Mike

Old 08-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
Wez1

Brian
Thanks for your interest. You may have already seen Charlie Welkie's photos of this engine posted on this site. He is building it in 1/4 scale. Here are a few of the original model incl one taken just after its maiden flight.
I will organise some pics of the Lynx tomorrow.

Wez

Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   crankcase assy (4).jpg   valve cage.jpg   just landed 2.jpg   cam cluster.jpg  

rear view.jpg   crankshaft.jpg   mono cowl progress 1.jpg  
Old 08-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
Wez1

Mike
I can email all the drgs to you plus construction notes. There are about 35 sheets I think mostly in A4 format so easy to print out. They have been well proved by other builders. Cost is £45 payable by Payal. If you want to go ahead send me a private message and I will give you payment details. NB this is a true scale model in nearly every respect.

Wez1

Old 08-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
cwelkie

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts

Good to see you here "Wez1"! It's always nice to see photos of your Lynx ... you really must share a couple more of the crankcase and the spectacular work you've done with that intricate "piece".

Charlie

Old 08-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
Wez1

Here are some photos of the Lynx. Cylinder heads, rear end of crankcase and valve rockers all lost wax castings. I made the waxes with great difficulty. Three other crankcase components cast in alloy using rubber patterns and plaster. Crankshaft, master ring, con rods (one H section, 6 tubular) and prop hub parts all in EN24T. Pistons in Dural 2014, cylinders in leaded steel. Valve rockers cast in HT stainless with 2 preloaded ball races fitted at fulcrum.
Cam followers are plain hardened rollers fitted to silver steel tappets in 7075 Al guides. Induction pipework all in electroformed copper. This is about 0.015" thick wall so very light in weight.
Engine is intended to be a fairly exact copy of one in possession of RR Derby. I hope to fly it, possibly as a small sustaining engine on the back of a full size powered glider. Not very authentic but at least pilot and engine would be near one another in the event of difficulties!
My w/shop facilities are pretty basic, no CNC, just a decent Emco lathe plus very old Deckel miller. I made all the tooling for the casting work then farmed out the metal pouring to 3 foundries. It was all very hard and I wrote a long piece all about it in EiM (UK) earlier this year. If anyone wants to know more about this side of the project I will gladly forward the file.

Best regards

Wez1

Attached Thumbnails
crankshaft 2.jpg   P1020058.jpg   prop hub parts.jpg   master & auxilliary rod.jpg   P1020082.jpg  

finished induction &n exhaust pipes.jpg  
Old 08-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
Wez1

Hi again
I see that only half the pics arrived. Here are the rest. Pity the captions get lost but you can probably work out what's what. Incidentally, is there a quicker way of uploading photos in a folder rather than one by one?
Wez1

Attached Thumbnails
detail cyl head.jpg   rear end 2.jpg   crankshaft 3.jpg   P1020060.jpg   con rod assy.jpg  

Old 08-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #9
dsquire

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Gnome Monosoupape rotary engine

Wes

Those are fantastic pictures of a fantastic project. Using the method of attaching photos like you did I believe that there is a limit of 8 photos per post. Also, the photos all appear at the end of the post and do not allow comments between them.

If you upload your photos to photo-bucket which is free (or similar service) then you can place more photo's per post. You can also place text between photos. I would recommend not placing more than 10 photo's per post. We would rather you make multiple posts as it helps them to load faster. Also please keep the photo size down to 800 x 600 for landscape or 600 x 800 for portrait. Many people use "FastStone Photo Resizer" to resize their photos and add a watermark.Here are a couple of links to help you get the programs mentioned and links to instructions.

FastStone Photo Resizer ver 3.1
http://www.faststone.org/FSMaxViewDownload.htm

Photo-bucket account
http://www.photobucket.com/

Photo help - Photo-bucket
http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,607.0.html

Photo help - FastStone PhotoResizer
http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,4735.0.html

If you need any further help with any of this give a shout and I will help you out.

Cheers

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Old 08-24-2012, 02:22 AM   #10
rhitee93
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 70 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Wow. This is one of those threads that makes me want to go home, sell all the equipment and take up knitting

Beautiful work! (Both on the engine, and in destroying my ego )

-Brian

Quick Reply