Home Model Engine Machinist > CNC > Software and Programming > Mastercam Mill 9.1

Old 07-23-2012, 03:19 AM   #1
azroyhelmy

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Mastercam Mill 9.1

Hi guys,
I quite new to the CAM. I'm using 3 axis Fanuc controller mill and 9.1 version of mastercam.

My question is, how can i control my cutter wear? e.g : I'm ramping a 1" hole to 0.5" depth. my finishing cutter should make the last cut of 1" diameter at 0.5" depth. after checking the hole, the diameter is small of 0.0039".

So how can i used the 'wear' in tool offset controller? i tried before but the controller triggered an alarm not to do that. should i change the program? If so can anybody direct me to which i should select my 'offset' in Mastercam ?

Tq

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
mulac321

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hi there are a few cnc experts on this forum but the best place for thousands of experts is the cnczone.com forum. I believe they have a dedicated section just for master am.
Calum

Old 07-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
azroyhelmy

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thanks Calum

Old 07-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
kvom
HMEM_MODERATOR.png

Liked 189 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 95

You could adjust the tool diameter in MC and regenerate the g-code.

The best source for info on Fanuc controller issues, IMO, is to register on Practical Machinist and ask your question. Be sure to specify the exact controller model.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
idahoan

Liked 160 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Tq

I'm running a rewer version of Mastercam (X5) and in the cut parameters dialog there is box for stock to leave on walls and one for stock to leave on floors. these can be set to a plus or minus value; so in your case you would enter -.002 as this value would only be for the radius. I'm not sure about the older version; but it may have somtining like this.

I assume that you are using a roughing and then finishing cutter?

Dave

Old 07-25-2012, 02:07 AM   #6
azroyhelmy

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes Dave, I running on different roughing and finishing cutter. Yes, there are dialog boxes for leave stock allowance in mastercam. but , we just don't know the cutter wear, spindle run out and etc that affect the final dimension. so it's quite hard to redraw and repost again to the controller.

I'm running cnc lathe too, and it's more convenient as all tools offset can be adjust freely.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
Aquaman

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There's a box... "Compensation type" I think it defaults to "Computer" click it and you'll see "Control"...."Wear"....etc.

You want to use "Wear" and re-generate the path. Post it and see if it outputs G42 and/or G43.

If your post is working correctly and it outputs the codes you should now be able to use the offsets on the control to make tool diameter offset changes.

Play with it a little on a scrap part.

Regards...

azroyhelmy Likes This 
Old 07-30-2012, 01:10 AM   #8
azroyhelmy

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks Aquaman, I believe I get it. But when it come to ramping a hole, the controller still not allowed any value in 'wear' column of the controller offset.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
Aquaman

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

See if you can figure out what "options" are turned on in your control.

In my experience, the controls come built with all the options included and the re-seller turns on those options that you pay extra for....
If something called "Helical or Tornado" isn't turned on in the control its probably not going to work and you'll have to use Circle Mill or the regular contour path in order to use your control offsets.

Try clicking "Compensation type" and "Control" and re-gen your path and post it.

You just have to fool with it until you get the machine to do what you want.

An easy way to size the hole is to just draw another circle that's .0039" larger than the one you just cut and drive the tool on the new circle as the finish path.

Whatever gets the hole to the size you want it to be......

Regards...

Old 07-30-2012, 10:53 PM   #10
atheras29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azroyhelmy View Post
Hi guys,
I quite new to the CAM. I'm using 3 axis Fanuc controller mill and 9.1 version of mastercam.

My question is, how can i control my cutter wear? e.g : I'm ramping a 1" hole to 0.5" depth. my finishing cutter should make the last cut of 1" diameter at 0.5" depth. after checking the hole, the diameter is small of 0.0039".

So how can i used the 'wear' in tool offset controller? i tried before but the controller triggered an alarm not to do that. should i change the program? If so can anybody direct me to which i should select my 'offset' in Mastercam ?

Tq
Hi
Post from Master Cam the existing post again and before sent it to mill change the diameter of the existing # tool under description of tool

( make it smaller off .0039'')

second line under the first G codes

if you have any problems please post a picture of the post to help you

good luck

Dimitrios

Quick Reply