Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Machine Modifications > what belt?

Old 07-20-2012, 02:27 AM   #1
blighty

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default what belt?

i have owned an RF45 for 3 odd years now and my ears can't take them ruddy gears any more. so for the sake of my hearing i think it's time for a belt mod.

but what sort?

i have seen many types of belts being used..... apart from one.... the common V belt. there is probably a reason for this, but i cant figure it out what that may be. it might have something to do with efficiency. but saying that, Bridge Ports and such other milling machines have been using V belts for years and they seem to do all right.

at the mo i can think of three belt options.
1 V belt
2 toothed belt (5mm pitch)
3 poly V belt.

i would like to go with the poly belt, but at the mo i can't find a place on the net (UK) that sells them in X length. toothed belt would be the next one and the V belt would be the easiest as the pulleys are not that hard to make.

any ideas/ thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
Tin Falcon
Administrator
HMEM_ADMIN.png

Liked 691 Times on 558 Posts
Likes Given: 18

like you said bridgeports use V-belts and the little x-2 pulley conversions use v belts.
Tin

Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus
Amat victoria praeparatio diligens

Old 07-27-2012, 03:23 AM   #3
terrywerm
Keeper of the Coffee Pot

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

A few other points to consider: timing belts will make some noise, especially at higher speeds. As a rule, V belts will run more quietly and they are available just about anywhere.

Terry

Making chips with old machines. There's nothing like it!

Old 07-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #4
velocette

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hi My sypathy with battered ear syndrome I have converted my X2 mill to belt drive.
Much more peacefull now.

I have had a quick look at the specs for a RF 45 mill a very nice peice of machinery
One question springs to mind Have you changed the oil in the gearbox since new as some times the original oil leaves a lot to be desired.

Have you considered fitting a DC variable speed drive as single phase AC motors do run roughly.

I did this conversion on 10 X 27 lathe and the drop in noise level was very notable.
To improve even more fitted an oil pump to deliver oil to a gallery
in the gearbox lid to flood all the gears and bearings with about a half litre a minute of oil.
Check this link it was a great help

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f16/single-phase-motor-chatter-17383/

you may want to do more research into a belt conversion

This is my attempt on an X2

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f28/x-2-mill-belt-drive-alternative-15157/

Keep us all posted please

Eric

Old 07-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
chipenter

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I have been using
polly V belts for some time now , made pulleys and find they are much easer to change and quiet , the pulley were simple to make to .
http://www.solenttools.co.uk/p0/poly-v-drive-belts/363050.htm UK supplier .

Jeff

Old 07-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
blighty

velocette....

yep, the oil was changed out about 9 months a go. i rang the guys where i got it from and they even said "don't use the oil recommended, use this stuff" can't remember what "stuff" was exactly, but it did quieten it down from the noise of really big tank to the noise of a big tank.

motor wise....

i nice new 2.2kw 1400rpm 3phase motor turned up last week and yesterday the VFD turned up to run it. with the gear ratios i have chosen should give me 445rpm/ 1100rpm and 2150rpm/5000rpm. as you can see i have a gap in the middle of 1000rpm that i can't get with just 2 gears. that why i thought of v belts, so i can get another gear in the with the amount of space i have.

but now with chipenter link (thx) i might change my mind about the v belts and go with poly......

chipenter...

how wide are you poly v belts? as this will help my a lot in deciding on how many gear ratios i can have.

thx for all your input gents

Old 07-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
velocette

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hi
That is another alternative to variable speed as a three phase motor will run much more smoothly than single phase.
PJ Poly Vee belts are 2.34 mm per rib X 6 ribs + 1 rib 16.98 plus lands

Say 20mm wide pulleys. The belt width is only approximate for the 2.2 kw motor.

As you will appreciate That the bigger the diameter of the pulleys the less
the loading on the belt.

Keep us posted with pictures too for being a NUT on conversions and modifications get great pleasure in seeing how other tackle them

Found this surfing not sure if this is the same as your mill

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCMillBeltDrive.html

It may help

Eric

Old 07-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #8
ninefinger

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I too feel your ear drum pain as I have an MD-001 (the slightly bigger brother to the RF-45 otherwise known as an Industrial Hobbies mill clone). I have been looking at how a few other have done this on other forums and the ones that look the nicest have been done with the poly vee belts. Typical is 2 sets of pulleys with a high range and a low range, usually giving up a fair amount of low end torque over the gears in favor of much higher top end (typically 2x original), with a big 3 phase motor and VFD.

I "think" that the reason plain old V belts aren't used is to do with the pulley size. If you want to keep things compact (ie in the original head envelope) then you need to use small diameter pulleys. That in turn means a smaller cross section V belt and lower overall power transfer. The poly vee belts are better in this respect (pulley size to power transfer) and also require less pulley movement to effectuate a change of ratios versus the deep groove of a v belt.

Do please keep us informed of your choice - I may one day get off my duff and do something about the noise and when I do I want to be able to copy somebody, not blaze a trail...

Mike

Old 07-28-2012, 07:14 AM   #9
chipenter

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I had two belts over 30 mm wide so turned them inside out, and cut them into 4 grooved belts with a Stanley knife ,made the pulleys with 12mm wide steps .

Attached Thumbnails
P1000196.jpg  

Jeff

Old 07-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #10
blighty

chipenter.....

just been look at that web site for the poly belt. seems strange that all types of poly belts are out of stock. i'll give them a buzz when the time comes.

velocette...
"PJ Poly Vee belts are 2.34 mm per rib X 6 ribs + 1 rib 16.98 plus lands"

if you have a look here http://www.solenttools.co.uk/p0/poly-v-drive-belts/363050.htm their a bit lite on info about there belt's, you just buy them by how many groves you want. do you think it would be the same dimensions you gave above?

if that is the case then 7 or 8 grove belt will do for me. plus i can get three pulleys/gears in the amount of space i have.

Quick Reply