Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Machine Modifications > Modifying my Home Built Tool & Cutter Grinder

Old 01-25-2012, 04:28 AM   #1
cfellows

Liked 664 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Modifying my Home Built Tool & Cutter Grinder

This is my home built tool & cutter grinder...

And here are some more pictures as I'm tearing it down...

It's made from 4" channel iron and a 5,000 RPM treadmill duty motor with a variac to adjust the speed. I rebuilt the front bearing carrier on the motor from aluminum to increase the accuracy and seal the motor from grinding dust. There is no air flow through the motor but so far it has never overheated. The motor has ball bearings on front and back and runs very quietly with virtually no vibration. I rarely run it more than half speed and have never put any appreciable load on it. I have several spindle attachments for it that allows me to use an assortment of different grind stones.

The grinder has served me well and is reasonably accurate, but is somewhat deficient in user friendlieness. The motor is fixed solidly to the frame and all angle and height adjustments must be made on the work holder attached to the table. I've long been contemplating modifications which would let me adjust the height of the spindle as well as the overhang of the grind stone over the table. So, that's what this thread is about.

Here you can see the 1/4" thick angle iron I added to the side for mounting the vertical column which will carry the motor. The angle iron has two slots that allow it to slide forward and back by about 2 3/8" inches which will give me more or less overhang over the table.

More pictures to come...

Chuck

So many projects, so little time, not enough energy...

Last edited by GailInNM; 05-28-2014 at 04:47 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
cfellows

Default Re: Modifying my Home Built Tool & Cutter Grinder

This first picture shows how the column which holds the motor attaches to the base. I have 3 holes in the angle iron platform so the column can be mounted in the middle or on either end for moving the motor forward and back.

Here is a view underneath the column platform. It's slotted to allow forward and aft adjustment by about 2 inches. There are also two sets of holes which allow further adjustment forward and back.

Do you get the idea that I want a lot of forward and backward positioning of the motor / grindstone?

Here is the motor clamp that I fashioned from 1/8" thick steel sheet.

And here is what the motor holding assembly will look like.

Chuck

Old 01-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
bvd1940

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looks real good cfellows, I am working on an idea for a tool grinder made with a Harbor Freight 3in1 mill/lathe I picked up cheap. I felt that it would cover vertical & horizontal position of the grind wheel
I see some good ideas with what you are doing so will be watching for further installments

Old 01-26-2012, 03:05 AM   #4
cfellows

Thanks, here are some pictures with parts temporarily hung in place.

Think I'm getting close to being able to put this thing back together. Tomorrow I will remove the metal feet from the motor so it will fit in the ring clamp I made. That will be the point of no return.

Chuck

baldy347 Likes This 
Old 01-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
Wrecks

Um, how'd you form the motor clamp?

Old 01-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
chucketn
Senior Citizen

Liked 63 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Chuck,
Is there a build thread on the origional? I have a treadmill motor like yours looking for a new purpose.

Chuck in E. TN

Chuck in E. TN

HF X2, Micromark 7x14, Green 4x6 bandsaw

Old 01-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #7
cfellows

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexL
Um, how'd you form the motor clamp?
I started with a flat strip of steel, about .110" thick by 3" wide and 10" long. I used my (home made) press brake in my (home made) 20 ton hydraulic press to fold the tabs on each end. Then I laid the strip down across a 3" piece of channel iron with the flat part on the bottom. I put a 3" diameter billet of aluminum rod on top of the strip, then used my hydraulic press to push the billet down on the strip forcing it into the channel iron and making it curl up around the billet. Then I continued to use the press to finish forming the ring around the billet. I should've made a video or at least took some pictures! :doh:

Chuck

baldy347 Likes This 
Old 01-27-2012, 01:23 AM   #8
cfellows

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucketn
Chuck,
Is there a build thread on the origional? I have a treadmill motor like yours looking for a new purpose.

Chuck in E. TN
No, sorry, Chuck. I built that cutter grinder a number of years ago before HMEM was even a twinkle in Rick's eyes. I have some drawings which I can probably clean up. The main frame is made from a piece of 4" channel iron about 14" long. I milled the sides down on the front of the channel iron then welded a piece of 1" x 1/4" cold rolled steel on each side to form the y axis ways. I then used a mill to true up the surface and cut the 60 degree sides to form the dovetails. The y-axis block was milled from a piece of 3/4" thick cold rolled steel. The table was milled from a piece of 6" x 11" x 1" cold rolled steel. I milled an integral dovetail into the back of the table and also milled a slot for a 24 pitch rack to fit in so the x-axis would use rack and pinion movement instead of a screw. There was a ton of milling done to form the dovetails and cutting the T-Slots was a very slow, painful process. It was during the building of this cutter grinder that I made a power feed for the x-axis on my mill/drill! If I had it all to do again, I would probably try to adapt an existing x-y table or at least make it out of cast iron instead of steel.

Chuck

Old 01-27-2012, 01:25 AM   #9
cfellows

I'm in the home stretch now. I've pretty much got everything reassembled. I still have to complete the crank assembly at the top of the z-axis. That crank on top of the z-axis lead screw is just sitting there, not attached. And I have to solder the motor connections back onto the switch, which is reversible, by the way.

I'm quite pleased with the rigidity of the column and motor assembly. I don't believe there will be any flex or vibration.

Chuck

baldy347 Likes This 
Old 01-27-2012, 01:32 AM   #10
doc1955
Gone

Liked 43 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Looks good Chuck I keep telling myself I need to build some thing like that but I just keep getting side tracked by other builds. I have been collecting data and examples so I'll have some place to start with.

Gone!

Quick Reply