Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Questions and Answers > milling machine question

Old 11-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
johndaddy

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default milling machine question

I am new to the forum and am in the process of buying a milling machine. Which is better Grizzly G0619 at $1469.00 with shipping wt. of 418 lbs or Lathemaster LMT25L at $1389.00 with shipping wt. of 340 lbs? Will be using for hobby building.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
Chazz

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Re: milling machine question

Generally, the rule of thumb for Milling machines is; "Get the biggest machine you can both afford and have room for. Our smaller 'hobby' machines need all the weight and ridigitity we can afford.

After that, bells and whistles, R8 has a larger holding range than MT3, power z or y axis, how much HP etc.

Have fun,
Chazz

Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada

Craftex CT039 9 x 20 Lathe & CT129N Mill

Old 11-28-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
Entropy455

Liked 57 Times on 43 Posts

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mill...wer-Feed/G1007

My first milling machine was the Grizzly G1007 (see above link). In my opinion, the G1007 is an excellent starter mill. It is not as rigid as a knee mill, but it’s very robust by mill-drill standards. It has more than enough horsepower – so much so that if you attempt heavy cuts, you’ll have the power, but the bit will chatter. With light (reasonable) cuts, it works great. The power feed is a dream! I could not imagine attempting to machine anything without the power feed. On that note: my next machine will have power feed on the y-axis also. . . The G1007 is easily maneuverable with a small shop engine crane. (See below link).

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-f...ane-35915.html

I built a lifting fixture consisting of a small trapezoid piece of steel welded a 5/16” chain. The trapezoid steel piece will wedge-fit into the top inner-lip of the mill’s vertical cylinder (casting lip) providing an easy means of rigging the entire mill. Just pop off the dust cap and slip in the chain assembly for easy moving.

I’m not familiar with the G0619.

I do agree however that you should purchase the largest machine you can afford (and fit into the shop). The only exception would be if you’re only looking to manufacture the smallest of components – where a smaller machine might be desirable.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
Troutsqueezer
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 31 Times on 50 Posts

Ask ten hobby machinists a question and you'll get eleven different answers. With that in mind, here's my response. Buy the smallest and cheapest machine that will get the job done. Take the money you have saved and spend it on your wife. You will be much happier in the long run.

Trout

-Dennis-
Once you see the bandwagon, it's too late.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
moanaman
BarryG41
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Send a message via Skype™ to moanaman

I would prefer the Grizley over the Lathemaster of the 2 you are considering. It appears to have a larger column and hopefully more rigid.

Barry G

Barry G Moana South Australia

Old 11-30-2011, 12:17 AM   #6
bearcar1
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutsqueezer
............... Take the money you have saved and spend it on your wife. You will be much happier in the long run.

Trout
Spoken like a true gentleman. Well done Trout'.

BC1
Jim

Old 11-30-2011, 03:33 AM   #7
larry1

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4588

Trout, Truly spoken like a true gentleman thank-you very much. larry

Old 11-30-2011, 06:05 AM   #8
S3MIH3MI

Likes Given: 1

I'll bet he's away from the computer for a minute and that was his wife posting...
LOL

00000000 00000000 00000010 10011010

Old 11-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
Swede

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts

A good wife would not begrudge her man a modest toy that would bring years of joy.

In the grand scheme... it's $1,400 bucks. Millions of men spend 8X that on motorcycles or other gadgets, or spend that annually on a golf course.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
Troutsqueezer
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 31 Times on 50 Posts

Trout has learned a thing or two in his old age.

Sometimes I scratch my head at some of the advice given as to which machines are best. Best for you is not necessarily best for me. Whatever fits the bill is 'best'. So then we have to ask, what is the bill? Given this is HMEM, some terms come to mind such as 'hobby' and 'model'.

Now I don't know about you but when I think hobby, I don't think hogging out material as fast as I can. I might think along those lines if this were a production machinist's forum. No, I think that enjoyment, relaxation, taking all the time I want and thinking things through is where the rewards are in this hobby. Oh, and discussing those attributes in forums like this.

After dinner and watching Jeopardy with the wife, I head out to the shed for a couple hours each evening. I am quite satisfied upon entering to see my Harbor Freight mill and lathe sitting there, waiting for me to figure out my next part. I remove small bits of metal at a time. One evening, one small part, eventually an engine. Life is good. I also enjoy tweaking with those machines, make them as good as they can be. All at low expense. Contrary to belief, these machines bring "years of joy" as well as any other.

I have other hobbies. They require a budget as well. Most here probably do too. It just wouldn't work for me to starve my other hobbies because someone else thinks bigger and more expensive is always better. It's about enjoyment on as many levels as you can swing it, not about having the biggest and best toy. I need something that works. I don't need a monster truck if my Toyota is going to get me there and back. But hey, that's just me.

-Dennis-
Once you see the bandwagon, it's too late.

lennardhme Likes This 

Quick Reply