to most of you, and have learned most of these modifications from the people here. This is my first post here, and I hope to keep this thread going, seems like once a week I'm doing something to the mill.
Top 3 threads to read!!!
I didn't get pictures of the first modifications I've done, but I will list them.
1st - I tore apart the mill into pieces and everything that was flat got wet sanded (WD40 as the "wet") with 600 grit sand paper on a piece of tempered glass from an old computer desk.
2nd - The ways were scrapped and then sanded with 600 grit by hand to smooth them out.
3rd - I aligned and deburred everything while putting it back together and coated everything in TriFlow lube.
4th - I trammed the mill and noticed that my head was nodding forward .006" and that was with the head almost all the way down, so I ended up putting aluminum foil shims under the column to base mount to nod the head back, I got that accomplished and then I ran into a thread here about aligning the head to the column, so... step 5..
5th - I aligned the head to the column, while the head was apart I took and deburred everything and sanded all the surfaces flat, and oiled it all, put it all back together with the head now aligned (took most of the day...) I then put the column back on the mill and what.... my column was now nodding back .006"..... hmm... so I took out the aluminum foil shims and BAM... DEAD ON!!! So the moral of that story is that China has no deburring or sanding tools, also they had some what I call loose bolts in the head... So yeah, probably most of everyone who has their columns shimmed can learn from this and make sure everything is cleaned up and flat...
6th - I added some Igaging DRO's I got off Amazon 2-12" and 1-6" remote display scales.
7th - I took the draw bar spacer out as it had way to big of a hole in center and when you would tighten down the draw bar it would make the draw bar be off center so the mill would vibrate a little when running at high speed, i made a spacer out of aluminum that is tight on the bolt.
8th - I made some handles on my 7x16 lathe for the mill that were larger than the originals so I could get some more torque on the wheels so I could make the gibs tighter... it really did help alot, I was surprised.
9th - I made a spindle lock, problem is all I had for the pin was aluminum, and the first time I used it the aluminum snapped as it's pretty small... So now I just use the aluminum bracket I made and I stick and old Philips head screwdriver that I cut the end off of and just stick that through the hole, It's just a temporary solution until I get some steel.
10th - I built a column support out of 3/4" aluminum the full length of the column and also added a brace at the bottom which will help with tramming if I ever have any nodding issues later on... I may end up with some tramming brackets for side to side tramming.
I tried to add pictures to this... said the pics were to large, I'll get that fixed and follow up with more posts...