Next the bearing housing. This time I started with a 2 inch diameter piece and turned the mounting flange and the boss the fits inside the crank case. I also drilled and bored the bearing recesses.
After drilling the screw clearance holes I made a simple arbor by turning a 1 inch steel rod for a slip fit in the .875" bearing recesses. Drilled a deep tap drill hole with a shallow clearance hole for a 1/4-20 bolt and parted off a thick washer. After tapping the part still in the chuck I could mount the bearing housing and face to length and turn the taper..
Next I worked on the cast iron pistons. This was my first time machining cast iron and it went smoother than I anticipated. First I turned the outer diameter and the groves. Next I used a .375 end mill to "drill" the flat bottomed hole in the bottom of the piston. I finished by flaring the bottom of the piston. I cut the piston from the stock and face it to length. Repeat 3 more times as I wanted an "insurance" piece.
On the mill I drilled and reamed the .125 wrist pin hole in each piston.
To cut the cut the square pocked in the piston I used a .125" rod and a 1-2-3 block to get the wrist pin hole parallel with the mills Y axis. I then used a .375" pin to locate the center of the piston. A few passes around the .375 diameter hole mad it a .375 square with round corners. When I was done I had 4 usable pistons.
I also made the cast iron cylinder liners, No pictures, just simple turning and boring.
I could not resist attaching the bearing housing to the crank case to see how they looked. Here is a photo of the progress to date.
I am now up to date,
Thanks for checking in