Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Engines From Castings > STUART Triple compound steam engine

Old 11-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
ZAPJACK

Liked 66 Times on 32 Posts

Default STUART Triple compound steam engine

Hello everybody,
This is a nice engine what I've build a couple of year ago
From cast iron casting from STUART engines
it's a triple cylinder, compound double effect steam engine
With air & water pump, rotation inverter,
Assembled crank shaft
The big problem of continental European model engine builder, it's the use of imperial sized drawings.
We always need a calculator to change imperial in metric
So it's a waste of time and the begin of dimensions differences
Otherside, it's dangerous to think in both standard
For example, a standard iron axle. British of US standard are 1/2" (=12.7mm)
But in metric, we must choice between 12 or 14mm!!!!
So in this case, we use 12mm. But we must adapt the other dimensions
It's not always easy.
But, OK, without difficult, no fun
Bye

Attached Thumbnails
DSC00521 [800x600].jpg   DSC00520.JPG   DSC00521.JPG   DSC00522.JPG  

C'est en sciant que Léonard De Vinci

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
gbritnell
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 290 Times on 380 Posts

Default Re: STUART Triple compound steam engine

That's a very nice piece of work. I have always liked the marine style engines with their open workings. I don't have any problem going from Imperial to Metric as long as I have a calculator available. I would hate to do it by hand though. What other engines have you built?
gbritnell

Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Alec Ryals Likes This 
Old 11-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
sunworksco
Rocket Man

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Re: STUART Triple compound steam engine

I need two of the STE engines for a project.
For what the unmachined Stuart Triple Expansion steam engine kit costs ( $930.00USD ), would it be better to machine stainless-steel and silicon-bronze material using their blueprints?
Why are their kits so friggen expensive? Are they melting traces of gold in the crucible?
I would think if they are using induction furnaces they could use 316L stainless-steel inplace of iron.
Why hasn't anyone disassembled a newly built Stuart Triple Expansion engine and had the parts 3D laser printed?
See www.nextengine.com
You could then have the parts drawings in a 3D CAD software for CNC machining or better yet EDM spark erosion.
Thanks,
Giovanni

Regards,
Giovanni

Alec Ryals Likes This 
Old 12-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
pioneeraviator

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Stuart triple

Hello

Im new in this forum.
I really like this Stuart triple cylinder project. I checked too that this kit can be bought at many stores. Mabye is there anybody who has the plans for this machine? Im really interested in it.

Thanks

Laszlo

Old 12-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
GWRdriver

Liked 105 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Zapjack,
Very nice job on this difficult to build model. I agree that converting MM to In, and In to MM, can be bothersome although I'd have thought by now that Stuart drawings would be in Metric.

Giovanni,
There are several ways to look at this but the first one IMHO would be to set a value for your time, as an amatuer and a hobbyist. How much is your time, or spare time, worth? Multiply that rate by the hours it would take to recreate the Stuart castings (100hrs min?) either by hand or 3D, and to acquire or fabricating all the other bits which are contained in the kit. Sometimes in light of this the cost of the castings becomes a bit less painful. The cost may be unjustifiable and prohibitive under any conditions and that's when model engineers resort to other means to get what they want. If I needed to save the cost of castings, and I accepted that I would spend quite a bit of time either way (at whatever rate), since there's a need for two engines and some small economy of numbers could be realized, I would consider fabrication of the cylinders and bedplate from bronze or steel and then machine them as you would castings.

Cheers,
Harry

Last edited by GWRdriver; 12-06-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
Jasonb

Liked 304 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Giovanni, I'm sure you don't need the whole kit with all the barstock and fixings for your project, you could just buy the few castings that you need, Stuarts sell the individual bits.

Someone on here has it drawn in CAD and is making a larger version a bit of searching may be worth while.

Zapjack, nice job on the engine.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
Herbiev
HMEM_MODERATOR.png

Liked 98 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Laszlo I am pretty sure that if you contact Stuarts they will be able to sell you the plans. Secondly please post an introduction in the welcome section. Members are more likely to reply if they know a bit about you

Herbie
Hallett cove
South australia

Alec Ryals Likes This 
Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
KBC

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Copying a Stuart Triple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunworksco View Post
I need two of the STE engines for a project.
For what the unmachined Stuart Triple Expansion steam engine kit costs ( $930.00USD ), would it be better to machine stainless-steel and silicon-bronze material using their blueprints?
Why are their kits so friggen expensive? Are they melting traces of gold in the crucible?
I would think if they are using induction furnaces they could use 316L stainless-steel inplace of iron.
Why hasn't anyone disassembled a newly built Stuart Triple Expansion engine and had the parts 3D laser printed?
See www.nextengine.com
You could then have the parts drawings in a 3D CAD software for CNC machining or better yet EDM spark erosion.
Thanks,
Giovanni
Giovanni ,
What a great idea why don't you be the person to do that,
The 3D scanner is only( $2990 ) 2250 G.B.P. and a good well built triple will cost you about 2,000 G.B.P. on e-bay, I shudder to think what it would cost from Stuart R.T.R. if they would make one, + the time taken to scan, make the parts, machine the parts lets say another 5.000 G.B.P giving a guesstimate of 9.250 to 10,000 G.B.P.
I am guessing at these cost as I have missed the development and expansion and use of C.A.D. scanners due to my age, I'm just an old retired Clydeside hammer and chisel engineer and as you say Stuarts prices are expensive but when you do this we can all look forward to cheaper Triple castings and parts.

OH, forgot the Law suit on Copyright, wouldn't even try a guess. ( U.K. has world wide co-operation on Copyright Laws. )

George.

Last edited by KBC; 12-06-2012 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Correction
Alec Ryals Likes This 
Old 12-07-2012, 02:53 AM   #9
sunworksco
Rocket Man

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hasn't the copyrights expired ?
In any case it is always better to create the CAD drawings from blueprints. You can achieve a much higher printing resolution on the parts with less sanding and polishing. I am going to do this with the 1906 Stanley Rocket race car engine in 1/4 scale.

Regards,
Giovanni

Alec Ryals Likes This 
Old 12-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #10
Jasonb

Liked 304 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 11

As I said yesterday someone has taken the time to get it into CAD

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist....tml#post111115

Quick Reply