Project of the Month built by driller1432

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Showing Them > Photos and Videos > Ind-X Steam Engine rehab

Old 03-18-2017, 11:51 PM   #1
The_Paso_Kid

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Ind-X Steam Engine rehab

I purchased an Ind-X Steam engine on eBay in non-running condition. The electrical heating element was missing so I decided to convert it to use a propane burner.

The first burner unit I installed was a little too short to heat the entire boiler. It would get it hot enough to build up a little steam and keep the engine running at reduced speed for a short period of time. I did not have a larger burner so I took that one apart and did a little reverse engineering and built one from scratch that was long enough to heat the boiler adequately.

This is video showing it running with my home built burner.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:55 PM   #2
The_Paso_Kid

This is a photo showing the first burner I tried. It was just too small to do the job.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1773.jpg  

Old 03-19-2017, 12:02 AM   #3
The_Paso_Kid

This is the new burner set up. I purchased the propane tank and fittings. The actual burner I made myself. I neglected to take a photo of the burner before I installed it. I'll have to snap a few pictures next time I have this unit apart.
Attached Thumbnails
New Burner.jpg