Project of the Month built by gbritnell

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Plans > Launching a new project...

Old 11-13-2017, 10:12 AM   #1
Brookesy

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Launching a new project...

Ok, so I'm on a steep learning curve and reading everything I have time for. An amazing amount of information here. Thanks everyone who contributes. Launching (pun intended) a new project...

Long term my goals are the Trojan Mk II vertical engine and hopefully Minnie traction engine but I need a simpler engine as a starting point. Plans for both Trojan and Minnie are on the way and the workshop is nearly complete.

While I'm waiting I thought starting plans for a 1/12th scale 21ft Steam launch might be a good idea.

Full-size displacement 3467 lbs = 1572.6 kg
1/12th scale model 1572.6/12/12 = 10.92 kg (I think, please correct me if i'm wrong)
or is it 1572.6/12/12/12 = 0.91 kg?

My first problem to solve is a suitable scale looking engine and vertical boiler. In photos of full-size steam launches of around this size the engine seems to be fairly imposing and taking up a fair bit of space in the hull. I intend to build the engine and later might build the boat to put it in.

Any suggestions for a suitable engine/boiler to build?

Old 11-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
fcheslop

Liked 76 Times on 59 Posts

Malcolm Beak did a very good write up in one of the model boat mags mid 1980s for his MB22 engine.Its a double acting twin 3/8 bore and stroke and is a very good little engine for marine work
Malcolm also did three boiler designs a simple pot,a vertical and a center flue for this engine and fitted the plant into Vic Smeeds River Queen hull and she clips along . there is also some videos of the MB22 on utube
You can contact Malcolm on Paddle Ducks or Model Boat Mayhem he is a very approachable gentleman
Iv recently built the MB22 and fitted her with a scotch crank pump arrangement to go into a Thames launch
The Trojan is also a nice engine to build but unless you make a self starting set up like the French Typhoon engine is obviously wont self restart when reversing and would need a gearbox or a Kitchener rudder.
For most of my semi scale boats I prefer simple double acting twin oscillators as you get for/reverse from one servo and they are very reliable on the water .Just saves wet feet and frustration at the pond side .
J P Duval has some nice free marine wobbler drawing on his site
Hope it maybe of some use
cheers

Attached Thumbnails
PIC_0003.jpg   PIC_0005.jpg  
Brookesy Likes This 
Old 11-14-2017, 07:33 AM   #3
Brookesy

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Frazer. Great reply. I now have a lot more information to read through and the MB22 plans. I once had the River Queen plans and built an electric powered model but can't find any of my old model boat stuff.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:52 AM   #4
fcheslop

I also built and still have my River Queen although I fitted a V twin wobbler along the lines of P Arnotts design with his center flue boiler
I know all about loosing drawings as I lost a lot during a house move
cheers
Brookesy Likes This 
Old 11-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #5
Brookesy

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh yeah, I'm hearing you. I should never 'clean up' the shed and never 'have a throw out' when moving house...

Old 11-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #6
fcheslop

Yep keep those could be usefulls as you only need them the day after you chucked them out