Project of the Month built by mayhugh1

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Tools > Optimum BF20-L Vario Mill question.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
sa_airborne

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Optimum BF20-L Vario Mill question.

Good day all,

My first ever post, and quite possibly a stupid question for the learned folk out there - I have bought a mill as noted above, and am having a bit of a battle replacing the coin battery that powers the digital display.

The manual is not very helpful in this regard, and I hope an owner who has actually done this battery change could guide me in the right direction.

Any takers here, please?

Many thanks in advance,

Paul

Old 09-12-2017, 12:30 AM   #2
deeferdog

Liked 167 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Hi Paul, I have the same mill , great machine. I have just had a look at mine and it seems to be just a twist to remove cover and pop in new battery. Could you elaborate on the problem and I will look further. Cheers, Peter

Old 09-12-2017, 10:24 AM   #3
sa_airborne

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the prompt reply.

My machine has a little sliding cover, nothing to twist off, and the problem is that the cover doesn't slide across far enough to expose the battery for replacement. I'm hesitant to try forcing the cover any further, as I'm afraid I will break something.

It would appear that I may just need to lever the battery over the lip that retains it, and slide it out through the gap, but I would like some clarification before I much anything up too badly!

I have added some pictures, which are apparently worth a thousand words!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Pic 1.jpeg   Pic 2.jpeg  

Old 09-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #4
DJP

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts

From other devices with a similar cover, once it is free of the track you can lift it out. They must have installed it easily so you can get it off just as easily. The plastic cover may be oversized or have a rough edge. I would just pry it off once it is out of the track.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #5
bruedney

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I would say the unit is sitting below the edge and is stopping the cover coming off properly. There are 4 grub screws that hold the unit in place. Try loosening those to see if the unit will twist a little

Cheers
Bruce

Old 09-13-2017, 04:01 AM   #6
deeferdog

Liked 167 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Hi Paul, My machine is a little different as you can see from the pic, however I have modified my mill quite a bit and I know you can remove the feed knob and the hex screws. This will reveal the digital readout body and slide. I would imagine that the battery cover can then be removed quite easily. Cheers, Peter
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170913_082526.jpg  

Old 09-13-2017, 06:05 AM   #7
sa_airborne

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the input, gents.

I shall attempt to pry the battery compartment cover loose, and failing that I will remove the front plate and get at it that way.

Stand by for feedback in due course.

Paul

Old 09-15-2017, 08:39 AM   #8
sa_airborne

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

There was indeed a significant cavity behind the front cover, which I discovered by removing the feed knob and front cover plate.
The battery cover was prevented from sliding into the cavity by a combination of injection moulding flash on the battery cover plate, and press tool burring on the front cover plate.
I cleaned up all the problems, the battery cover plate now slides into the cavity just as nature intended, and changing the battery is now a breeze.

Thanks all for your input.

Paul

People Like This