Project of the Month built by mirek111

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > CNC and 3-D Printers > Software and Programming > Tips for Arduno software for Rotary Table Controllers

Old 03-09-2015, 11:22 AM   #171
rodw

Liked 313 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Well I finally got around to using the controller for a continuous milling job. A couple of years ago, a forum member gave me an angel eye light to go round the mill spindle.

But it has exposed soldered lugs on the back of the board that could short out.

So it needs a rebate so it won't short out on the mounting plate.

I made this up on the weekend.

I used the 4 jaw chuck to bore the hole for the spindle in the centre and offset it by 5mm before cutting the groove. I did thios to make room for the clamping bolt. I could not cut the rebate to gain the clearance I needed with the lathe tooling I had so I set it up on the rotary table. Don't ask me how long it took to centre the job on the lopsided hole. A 4mm end mill did the trick nicely to widen the hole on the outside that I could not get to on the lathe.

And here's the finished article

and where it will go

As an added bonus, I'm going to machine a flat on the side so I can mount up a depth gauge for the mill.

Now if only my 25 year old TC201 Weller Soldering Iron hadn't have decided to die during the week now I'm almost ready to solder up a control board.....

Scott_M Likes This 
Old 03-10-2015, 10:58 AM   #172
rodw

And here was I thinking I'd glue the light in with silicone but then realised it would be much easier to service if I secured the light with screws. So I set the mounting plate up on the rotary table again and set it for 3 divisions and added some M3 flanged screws out of my PC spares drawer.

THe rear screw is mounted on the inside as the power lead exits on the outside.

Way off topic I know, but this light is just awesome!

Absolutely no shadows anywhere. The 120 mm angel eyes lights are about $7.50 a pair on ebay ex China so I will have spares available.

People Like This 
Old 03-13-2015, 12:00 AM   #173
Wizard69

Liked 207 Times on 184 Posts

It isn't off topic and frankly the older I get the more important good lighting is. The real question is where does one buy such ring lights.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:02 AM   #174
TorontoBuilder
John
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 79 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard69 View Post
It isn't off topic and frankly the older I get the more important good lighting is. The real question is where does one buy such ring lights.
Ebay or amazon

Old 03-13-2015, 05:08 AM   #175
Holt

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
http://www.aliexpress.com/premium/an...ewCP=y&catId=0

Here they are in all sizes.

Holt

Old 03-13-2015, 12:32 PM   #176
rodw

Quote:
Another forum member gave me one that he bought off eBay (becasue they came in a pair) and I gave him an aluminium offcut to mount his on in return. Pretty sure this is what he bought. Well, the dimensions are the same.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1Pair-120...item51b1091138

Old 03-13-2015, 12:52 PM   #177
rodw

I finally got a bit of time tonight to play with some code again. Pretty sure I've got the LCD class extended to type in a number to 3 decimal places. eg 9.999.

I figured the number could represent millimetres (to 0.001) or inches (to 1 thou or 0.001")
This is an important step for a linear device so you can enter the distance per revolution so it needed to be done before I could add this functonality. I'm actually cheating a bit because while the display shows decimal numbers internally, the number is a long representing the smallest unit of measurement (microns in metric or thou in imperial). eg 0.001 is actually 1 in the code. It would not be too hard to add an extra decimal place. If you imperial guys thought it was necessary, let me know in this thread.

Quite excited to see TorontoBuilder has got his controller boards back.
TorontoBuilder Likes This 
Old 03-13-2015, 01:16 PM   #178
chucketn
Senior Citizen

Liked 137 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Can't wait, Rod. The biggest drawback to Chuck F's original configuration is that I can't enter # of divisions directly. I have successfully cut a set of 46 tooth change gears with my setup of Chuck F's version, but experienced difficulties when cutting a pair of 64 tooth gears. My Sainsmart LCD-Keypad shield started having button issues. Entering the # of divisions, and stepping for the next cut had numerous button errors or failed responses. At one point, the Arduino actually changed # of divisions spontaneously, and I ended up messing up the 64 tooth gears, on the last cut, of course.
Part of the problem may have been the 9v battery I was using to power the Arduino, it died enough that the display was not readable for the last few cuts. I think the wear and tear on the buttons entering the # of div by repeatedly pressing a button will make for a short life for the shield. I don't know if contact cleaner will help the button issue. I plan to reload the Arduino and try a single 52 or 54tooth gear today.

Chuck
I do have a 5 button module coming on the slow boat...

HF X2, Micromark 7x14, Green 4x6 bandsaw, Anet A8 3d printer

Old 03-13-2015, 03:55 PM   #179
chucketn
Senior Citizen

Liked 137 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Rod, are you adding a matrix keypad to this project?

Chuck

HF X2, Micromark 7x14, Green 4x6 bandsaw, Anet A8 3d printer

Old 03-13-2015, 09:11 PM   #180
rodw

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucketn View Post
Can't wait, Rod. The biggest drawback to Chuck F's original configuration is that I can't enter # of divisions directly. I have successfully cut a set of 46 tooth change gears with my setup of Chuck F's version, but experienced difficulties when cutting a pair of 64 tooth gears. My Sainsmart LCD-Keypad shield started having button issues. Entering the # of divisions, and stepping for the next cut had numerous button errors or failed responses. At one point, the Arduino actually changed # of divisions spontaneously, and I ended up messing up the 64 tooth gears, on the last cut, of course.
Part of the problem may have been the 9v battery I was using to power the Arduino, it died enough that the display was not readable for the last few cuts. I think the wear and tear on the buttons entering the # of div by repeatedly pressing a button will make for a short life for the shield. I don't know if contact cleaner will help the button issue. I plan to reload the Arduino and try a single 52 or 54tooth gear today.

Chuck
I do have a 5 button module coming on the slow boat...

Chuck, try and use a 12 volt plugpack supply for your Arduino. Its possible that it can't provide enough current to drive the LCD, keyboard and stepper. I don't know if others have used your stepper driver, it may use more power. I also replied on your other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucketn View Post
Rod, are you adding a matrix keypad to this project?

Chuck
No. Have to leave something for you guys to do! Someone else thought a rotary encoder would be good to use so where does it stop?

I've bought 5 bigger buttons (1 red for select and 4 black ones) and a hand full of resistors and was going to hardwire it into a case and rebuild to the Freetronics keyboard circuit diagram. I thought that would be more robust in a shop environment.

I'm holding off on putting it in the case. I've got a 48 v power supply to drive my stepper and have a couple of step down power supplies coming on the slow boat (10 amp 48-12v for arduino and spindle light and 5 amp 48-24v for an electric clutch on my X axis power feed.) The idea is that turning off the clutch will completely disengage the power feed to revert to the mill's hand control. The power supply is pretty big so I think I'll mount it on the mill somewhere and maybe have a smaller LCD display and button box.

I decided to get the spindle light fitted up so it could be part of the project.