Project of the Month built by sbdtasos
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > The Shop > Setting up Shop Questions - from an NZ learner

Old 06-12-2017, 11:30 PM   #531
joco-nz

Liked 99 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP View Post
Just curious how you retrieve partially used (short) rods? I have a drawer for flat storage of welding rods that became the default when first setting up my shop and like most of my shop the initial set up never changes.

Perhaps I need and time and motion study but I fear that changes will just make it harder to remember where things are stored in the future.
That's usually only a couple of rods in use so they just sit on the top of the welding cart. When I start using a rod I cut it in half else its just too long and unwieldy.

J.

Old Yesterday, 06:11 AM   #532
joco-nz

Today was a 200A AC/DC TIG unit install and play day. Only problem was once I got the unit all unpacked I realised I didn't have matching hoses/regulator connectors. Blasted BOC had decided to do stuff just a little too clever so the hoses and connectors for the BOC 175i were all slightly different to this units. Net effect is I had to make a temporary hose joiner while I wait for the proper solution to get delivered next week. So as to not waste my very limited brass I made a mild steel joiner to see me through the weekend. Started out as 10mm round bar 50mm long then got, drilled 3mm all the way through and turned into a joiner for 8mm ID to 6mm ID hoses. Used some screwed hose clamps and this works a treat.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Saturday-Muddlings - 1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	89536

The next pic shows my very first aluminium bead attempts. Below the red line was a bit of a screw up until I read the manual some more and realised that the "clean width" mean the amount of DCEP I had v's DCEN. I had set the % at 65 which actually meant 65% DCEP and that was butchering my tungsten. The last two beads had 35% DCEP set but the amps were still way to high.

I next unplugged the torches switch and moved to the peddle. Wow what a different that made to be able to control what was happening. Even though I can't limit the max amps on the peddle (it varies from 10A to 200A) its still much more dynamic. Given Aluminium is very very sensitive to the heat going in being able to change amps on the fly seems like a must. At least for newbies like me.

Anyway the beads above the line are using the peddle and while not flash are clear improving as I come to grips with the peddle control, dipping the filler into the leading edge of the pool and keeping a steady rhythm. But most of all I'm welding ALUMINIUM!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Saturday-Muddlings - 2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	89537

All in all a good Saturday and starting to extend my welding capabilities beyond mild steel.

Cheers,
J.

bruedney Likes This 
Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM   #533
bruedney

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Maybe we can make Ali fittings for the printer - we could construct from separate pieces and you could weld them

Old Today, 12:16 AM   #534
joco-nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruedney View Post
Maybe we can make Ali fittings for the printer - we could construct from separate pieces and you could weld them
Yeah in like another 5 years when I might just be starting to get consistent.

I tried making a simple bracket this morning out of 19mm ali square tube with a 1mm wall. I got there but dammit the welds look like a druken snail made them using worm poo. Tungsten too big, torch too big and hard to manoeuvre in my newbies hands, and 1mm wall ali is super super sensitive to the heat going in.

BUT I got there.