Project of the Month built by sbdtasos
Home Model Engine Machinist > Showing Them > A Work In Progress > Quarter Scale Merlin V-12

Old 06-13-2017, 12:58 AM   #721
petertha
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 194 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Terry, your perseverance through this immaculate engine project & your recent physical hurdles is truly inspirational to me.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:58 AM   #722
Cogsy

Liked 392 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 352

Glad to have you back Terry. No need to rush back into the shop. As I said before, I don't want the build to end too soon as I thoroughly enjoy reading the updates which will obviously stop on completion...

Old 06-14-2017, 06:04 PM   #723
mayhugh1
Project of the Month Winner!!!
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1679 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 471

Thanks again, all, for your comments. i feel like I'll be back to normal in a few more days.
Dave, I've not yet never tried using tabs on a workpiece. This stick and glue thing just seems easier although it is expensive for multiple parts. I heated the parts in a oven at 190F and while wearing gloves I literally pushed the parts free of the workpiece and rubbed any remaining epoxy off with a popcicle stick. - Terry

Old 06-21-2017, 01:00 AM   #724
mayhugh1
Project of the Month Winner!!!
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1679 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 471

A panel used to mount the two enclosed ignition modules that were constructed nearly a year ago was machined next. This panel was designed to be bolted to the accessory rails at the rear of the stand immediately below the coolant reservoir. This arrangement protects the susceptible electronics from any potentially oily prop wash, and it allows relatively short and direct connections to the engine. The CDI modules inside the enclosures require 6 volts for operation. Since the current plan is to use a single 12 battery to start and run the engine, a 12V/6V converter will be located elsewhere to provide the required voltage. A copper braid connects the ground planes of the ignition modules to a common point on the rear of the engine. This braid provides the high voltage returns for the spark plugs.

The only machining required on the plate were the cutouts for the Hall sensor connectors and the high voltage and ground wires that run between the ignition modules and the engine. What turned out to be a bit of a hassle, though, was replacing the booted connections on the ends of the high voltage coil wires from the modules. The straight boots I previously made up didn't look quite right in the final assembly, and so I decided to change them to right angle types. I can usually find suitable vacuum fittings in the local auto parts stores to make up just about any ignition or plug boot that I need, but the commonly stocked fittings wouldn't stretch over the large diameter towers that I had machined on the distributor covers. After a couple days of searching, I located some fittings intended for 'ancient' automatic transmission vacuum modulator valves. I was able to cut them down to make a pair of right angle boots that could be reliably and repeatedly installed/uninstalled without coming apart. I've included a couple self-explanatory photos of the boots' construction.

It occurred to me that the Tygon tubing I was using in the coolant loops had a temperature rating of only 145F which was much too low - especially for the runs exiting the heads at the front of the engine. I found other transparent and translucent hoses available with higher temperature ratings, but they were typically sold only in large and expensive rolls. I eventually found some short (12") lengths of reinforced translucent silicone tubing on Amazon, of all places. This tubing has a maximum service temperature rating of 400F and, from a distance, looks a bit like braided metal hose.

I also machined the cap for the coolant reservoir. I drilled a small vent hole in its center which I'll most likely plug later. I haven't yet decided whether I'll allow pressure to build-up in the coolant system since I'm a little concerned about all those o-ring seals between the cylinder blocks and heads holding pressure. I still need to come up with a drain for the coolant system, though, before declaring it finished.

Slowly, but surely, progress is returning. - Terry
Attached Thumbnails
1385.JPG   1386.JPG   1387.JPG   1388.JPG   1389.JPG  

1390.JPG   1391.JPG   1392.JPG   1393.JPG   1394.JPG  

People Like This 
Old 06-21-2017, 04:20 PM   #725
nel2lar

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Terry
Very nice and looks like completion is in sight. You have done an amazing job and you documentation is super. I enjoy seeing the different ways you use to complete a part, never thought about epoxy. It is always nice to have the tool in your box for the job at hand.
Thank you and much comfort in your healing.
Nelson

Old 06-21-2017, 04:52 PM   #726
editor123

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just a word of caution about using dual ignition systems. We tried it on one of the supercharged V-8s and found that electrical crosstalk fired both systems at random times, even using dual distributors.
The other problem we found was that the CDI systems had a built-in timing advance but it was set up for a 2-cylinder engine. With all the pulses coming in for a V-8, full advance was reached before the engine got started. This, of course, created a 'small' problem.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:53 PM   #727
Buchanan
Buchanan

Liked 60 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 268

Terry. That is looking wonderful. I also really like your choice of colors.

It makes it so much more like a full size. The casting look that you have on your machined components like the top of the tank is awesome. I have a daily check to see if there is any more progress. Lovely.

Buchanan