Project of the Month built by sbdtasos
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Machining with Disabilities > Why a forum on disabilities?

Old 02-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #101
Blogwitch
Ex Bogstandard
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 600 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Hi Pigpen,

I now have two high receptionists chairs, I used to have four, but I found I can scoot about between machines without having to stand up, so a couple were given away to friends.

There are lots of ways for us to carry on in our shops, I myself have power feeds on everything except the topslide on my lathe, but because that is only for short work I can still cope with it.

I have digital hearing aids and have found that a good technician can set them up to eliminate almost all the Tinnitus problems to give me nice full range hearing while I am wearing them. My problems start when I take them out and try listening to the TV in the evening, I have to turn the sound right up to be able to pick things up fully. Luckily, my neighbours can't hear my TV when going full blast, but my little dog buries himself under a pillow so that he can sleep.

John

Old 02-19-2017, 06:17 PM   #102
DJP

Liked 49 Times on 42 Posts

I have solved the hearing loss problem by leaving my hearing aids in the carrying case. In the shop I don't need them and when watching TV I use a head set connected to the stereo receiver for custom volume to suit my needs.

My fancy hearing aids are only useful when attending a play or concert or when visiting friends and family.

I didn't think that hearing loss in a machine shop where i am the only operator would be considered a disability.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:43 PM   #103
Blogwitch
Ex Bogstandard
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 600 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP View Post
I didn't think that hearing loss in a machine shop where i am the only operator would be considered a disability.
Excuse me DJP,

If you had read the previous posts about hearing solutions, you would know that this is nothing to do with working in a workshop but the suppression of Tinnitus.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:38 AM   #104
ex-Gooserider
Maker of things

Likes Given: 1

Only problem with hearing loss in a single operator machine shop is that you can't hear when the MACHINES start 'talking' to you - it is often the case if you are cutting something and you start getting loud noises then there is a problem that should be addressed... I.e. are your feeds & speeds appropriate, or do you have a setup that allows vibration... Ignoring can lead to excess tool wear or breakage, or just less than ideal results... There are workarounds but it is important to be aware of the issue... On the chairs, I have seen friends replace the little small casters on office style chairs with larger diameter 6 or 8" casters (or even bigger) like usually used on equipment carts or dollies - they tell me it makes it much easier to scoot around, especially on shop floors that have lots of chips and other crap on them. The bigger wheels will roll over small obstacles that would stop small wheels...

Old 02-20-2017, 02:40 AM   #105
DJP

Liked 49 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blogwitch View Post
Excuse me DJP,

If you had read the previous posts about hearing solutions, you would know that this is nothing to do with working in a workshop but the suppression of Tinnitus.
Yes, I should have read the entire thread before replying. Tinnitus has been with me since my childhood so I can ignore it. My more recent issue is hearing loss which some consider a disability. Around loud machines hearing protection serves me better than improved hearing.

The discussion to have is whether machines cause a hearing disability and I think that they do.