Project of the Month built by driller1432

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > General Engine Discussion > South Bend spares?

Old 10-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
lazylathe

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default South Bend spares?

Hi All,

Well the South Bend 9 Model A has landed in my basement!
Another lathe that will require a spot on the new bench and another concrete slab to be poured!

Back to my question!
Where do all of the south Bend owners get their spare parts from?
I am also looking for some accessories, like the fixed and traveling steady rests and a 4 jaw chuck.

I have placed a 'Wanted" add in our local classifieds although not too much really comes from there...
Been browsing fleabay and they have quite a bit but would really like to buy from a guy that knows what he is doing.
Not just some numbskull that buys a good lathe and parts it out...

I have also seen "Plaza Machinery" and contacted Joe about something a years or so ago.
Still waiting for a reply from him, so i am not too sure about that place either.

Seems as soon as they know you are across a border their tune changes for some reason....

Any help or tips would be great!!

Thanks,

Andrew

Time is money, money is the root of all evil, and knowledge is power. Therefore, procrastination is the key to world peace.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Mainer
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 40 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Re: South Bend spares?

Joe (of Plaza Machinery) doesn't always "do" email very well, so if you contacted him that way you might have better luck if you called him.
Or possibly his reply got blocked by a spam filter along the way.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
lazylathe

Thanks Mainer!

I check my spam everyday before deleting it, but it may have got lost along the way.

I will go through his lists of items and get my ducks in a row before giving him a call.

Thanks,

Andrew

Time is money, money is the root of all evil, and knowledge is power. Therefore, procrastination is the key to world peace.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
Mosey

Liked 50 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have an extra lever collet closer for a 10K, if you need one.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
lazylathe

Thanks for the offer Mosey!
Not sure if the 10K will fit on the 9" model??
May be too big!

Andrew

Old 10-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Mosey

Liked 50 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Fraid so.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #7
Groomengineering

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Hi Andrew, welcome to the club! I'd be lost without my SB 9". Have you checked out Metal Lathe Accessories http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/ ? Lot's of neat stuff. I've built the t-slot crosslide and the milling attachment, very nice castings and drawings.

Cheers

Jeff

Old 10-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
jor2daje

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Hey andrew I have an three jaw left over from when I traded away my southbend, and I have no use for it I know you said you were looking for a 4-jaw or a steadyrest, but if you are willing to do a little clean up I would happily send you the 3 jaw for just postage. Not sure of the brand but I could check it for you when I go home next, I liked to having two 3jaws so one can have the jaws reversed ready for larger stock.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
lazylathe

That sounds like a SWEET deal!!!!

I will Pm you my info and let me know the postage whenever you get a chance!!!

Thank you so much!!!
I will do my best to put it to good use!

Andrew

Old 10-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #10
steamer

Liked 104 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hi Andrew,

If you watch fleabay, and your patient and informed....you can get decent deals on used parts.

Get the light duty 4 jaw to fit the SB or the Atlas....a 6" is good and not too heavy

Most 4 jaws get very little use...they are almost always good. The slighly rusty 10" that came with my Logan from a trade school (30 years old) still had cosmoline on the threads.....I don't think it was ever used.n It cleaned up beautiful!

Additionally, here's another good place to visit

http://www.tools4cheap.net/

He carries new steady rests and follower rests at a reasonable price. I bought one of these for my Logan as steadies for a Logan are about unobtanium.....it fit fine with some assembly and few swipes of a file. I've used it and it works great!

As you may be aware, I am rebuilding a "9" ....If I come into some surplus...I'll let you know.
I bought my SB steady on ebay for about $75 because it still had 4 coats of flaking paint on it.....no worries there it came right off!

Dave