Project of the Month built by TonyM

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Tools > Myford ML4 spindle

Old 09-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #11
ThomasSK

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldstar31 View Post
Always remember that knowledge is hard won- or mine is.
However, my kids are constantly nagging me to scrap my model engineering 'library' because I am getting very old and can still remember enough anyway.
Just tell them that there is buyers for those magazines out there, and some of them fetch a lot of money, that should stop the nagging.

JCSteam Likes This 
Old 09-22-2017, 12:26 AM   #12
Wizard69

Liked 176 Times on 158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasSK View Post
Just tell them that there is buyers for those magazines out there, and some of them fetch a lot of money, that should stop the nagging.
Almost every year I snag a few old magazines at the Cabin Fever auction. Reading them has fueled my interest in machining and is a low cost way to experience the hobby as I slowly build up my shop. Some of them are long out of print, some useless but for the most part they are real gems of information and education.

So yeah the last thing you want to do is to throw them out. Sell them, auction them off or leave them to somebody in your will that will use them.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:06 AM   #13
goldstar31

Liked 319 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard69 View Post

So yeah the last thing you want to do is to throw them out. Sell them, auction them off or leave them to somebody in your will that will use them.
The sad thing is all this about Myford ML4's and whatever existed some 11 years ago and before that it was some 50 years earlier when I had a worn out machine to be restored.

Same old problems-- and my kids have all their spare time involved in charitable works and model engineering can hardly qualify. I'm merely trying to stave off the onset of old age, infirmary and memory loss.

Now where was I when I went off*********?

Regards from whoever I am
JCSteam Likes This 
Old 09-22-2017, 08:32 AM   #14
JCSteam

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 183

I agree with above Norm, get rid of them if you must, but make sure it's not to the tip. Make sure someone who can use them has them, (nudge ) it's been said before that not a lot of new things happen in engineering, and the same stuff that was learned 50years ago can still be applied to modern day machines, and machining. I just hope I get one of two jobs I'm going for as there both working with qualified engineers, so I should be able to pick up some tips, tricks and techniques through them.one of them is doing on the job training but not paid as well as someone who's served a 4year NVQ . Will still be interesting though.