Project of the Month built by mayhugh1

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Tools > Myford ML7 Geartrain

Old 09-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #11
goldstar31

Liked 305 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 485

I have a Metric quadrant which is lying under my bench-- unused. With the cost of Imperial stuff escalating in the UK as it is being replaced by Metric stuff, I bought a second hand SiegC4 for metric working. 'Baz' has been assisting here!

Having read- and re-read Martin Cleeve on Screwcutting on the the Lathe, Cleeve had two leadscrews- one imperial and the other metric . Of course this was his for his ML7. Might I commend it?

Unfortunately, having a gearbox is not all that is desirable as it actually reduces the number of possible threads which can be cut.

With that all in mind, I also bought a little Myford ML10 which has obviously no gear box but can utilise my extra cogs such as a pair of 21 20DP and a 63 transposing gear as the 127 correct gear is too big in diameter in 20DP and Module1.

By the time that I totted up the accessories which came with the ML10, they worked out at far more than the total purchase price.

I suppose that being a retired accountant sort of bloke that I think --- differently to most

Keep in touch- there's method in my madness

Norm

Bbob49 Likes This 
Old 09-15-2017, 08:50 AM   #12
Bbob49

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks again Norm
Is the Martin Cleeve info in book form or online?.

The metric quadrant on the ML7 has been 'Hand knitted' by someone. It's not too pretty but is I think serviceable. I have sent for a 63 gear which should suffice for my needs.

Thanks again for your input which has been excellent.

Bob

Old 09-15-2017, 10:37 AM   #13
goldstar31

Liked 305 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 485

Hi Bob

Thanks ! Unfortunately, the book called Screwcutting in the Lathe is not on line. So it is the same for George Thomas's Model Engineers Workshop Manual. The latter has much and already dimensioned( Imperial) for the Super7 and the ML7.

If I recall Cleeve also hand knitted a quadrant for his ML7. He must have been quite a character because he bought half a new ML7, fitted it out with TWO motors and wrote a whole series of articles on how to make nits for his ML7 out of blocks of steel which he joined -- with home made socket screws.

The sad thing about all this is that I tried to publish these after his death but an American bloke and myself actually started to put them on the 'net but ran into litigation- copyright problems- with the new owners of Model Engineer( then)

Nil Illigitimi Carborundum! Per Ardua Asbestos.

Battle of Britain Day

A RAF 31-er

Norm