Project of the Month built by driller1432

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Plans > High Speed Steam Engine

Old 08-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #41
lohring

Liked 69 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Thanks for posting the video. Have you always used a Scotch Yoke pump drive? It's very compact. Are there any issues compared to a connecting rod drive?

Lohring Miller

Old 08-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #42
windy

Liked 34 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohring View Post
Thanks for posting the video. Have you always used a Scotch Yoke pump drive? It's very compact. Are there any issues compared to a connecting rod drive?

Lohring Miller
I used to use a con rod like Bobs but the Scotch Yoke is more compact I am also running pumps at 4.8 engine speed compared to Bobs 6 to 1.

There has been no problems apart from renewing the bronze block at times.

The pump rams supporting bushes are also longer.

Stroke can also be set very fine compared to a series of holes at different diameters.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:10 PM   #43
windy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
That's some pitch you have there on the propeller. Never seen one as coarse as that before.

Paul.
The engine has a great deal of torque once at race speed.
The start can be awkward if the prop is too deep in the water or you don't launch it level.
Amazingly it recovered from this bad launch and did 119 mph the engine was on form on the previous run it did 129 mph.
On stripping the engine found the cam for steam inlet had twisted locating key and retarded the timing also a leaking cylinder head which now has been resolved for 2014.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:15 PM   #44
windy

At last Sundays runs of 128plus mph a slight problem has to be solved.
The prop UJ a simple pin and slot that was replaced for these runs is experiencing excessive wear on the slotted body 0.5625" diameter with 0.375" bore the pin out of piano wire is very good.
Have used case hardening steel, en24t, air hardening steel and others as can be seen it's like an impact wrench with the loads that's involved.
Ideas on a simple UJ design capable of taking the loads and speeds involved from a high torque engine and keeping to the dimensions quoted.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:45 PM   #45
lohring

Liked 69 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 10

We stopped using that type of propeller drive a long time ago. Most boats use a flexible cable drive that allows a lot of variation in strut angle. The gasoline engined boats run 1/4" cable. I've never broken one, but you develop more torque. The other drive system is a wire drive. There a solid shaft running in ball bearings is slightly bent as needed. We considered running as large as 3/16" music wire on our gasoline engined boats, but stuck with the cable. Wire drives are very popular with electrics. They can have huge starting torques like steam. Check out this site for both types of drives.
http://www.rcraceboat.com/Storewiredrive.html

You will need a heavier duty version of either type. The 1/4" cables might work. They can attach to the engine with either a square or collet. I've used both and prefer the collet for ease of removing the shaft. The cable runs in a stuffing tube that can be Teflon lined. I use a piece of brass tube between that tube and the prop shaft as a bearing. See the list below for parts:
Drive Dog - http://www.insaneboats.com/mm5/merch...oduct_Code=D13
Collet (engine end for Zenoah engines) - http://www.insaneboats.com/mm5/merch...oduct_Code=D17
Prop shaft bushing - http://www.insaneboats.com/mm5/merch...oduct_Code=D22
Cable & prop shaft - http://www.insaneboats.com/mm5/merch...eldedPropCable

You would need a length of brass tubing that the bushing slides into for the stuffing box. A cable drive absorbs the cylinder pulsations and is pretty tough. The big advantage is the range of angles for engine and strut setup. Aeromaring makes a lot of collets for various engine crankshafts.
http://aeromarinerc.myshopify.com/co...o-flex-collets

Lohring Miller

Old 09-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #46
windy

Here is the steamer in take off mode at 120plus mph at last weekends 2 days regatta at Rowden.
Picture courtesy of M Biddle
Attached Thumbnails
2014 JDM's Regatta 06.09_72.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 09-15-2014, 01:33 AM   #47
AnvilJack

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Great photo, great project.

What a brilliant engineering experience.

Well done.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:35 PM   #48
windy

Default John Benson

Sadly John Benson has passed away he was co writer with AA Rayman of experimental flash steam.
He was still competing this year with his Son helping him.
His book gave me inspiration and was a Bible to me when I started building a flash steam hydroplane.
A link to his life with model hydroplanes.
**LINK**
Paul

Old 11-13-2014, 04:03 PM   #49
KBC

Liked 50 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy View Post
Sadly John Benson has passed away he was co writer with AA Rayman of experimental flash steam.
He was still competing this year with his Son helping him.
His book gave me inspiration and was a Bible to me when I started building a flash steam hydroplane.
A link to his life with model hydroplanes.
**LINK**
Paul
Paul,
Thanks for the update on John, it's sad to hear of his passing, like you EXPERIMENTAL FLASHSTEAM was an inspiration to me as well.
Without the book and the help from R.Kirtley I would never have managed to get my project of the ground.

He must have been in his 90's and Alan Rayman can't be far behind, a great book for anybody contemplating a Flashsteam plant.

George.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:32 PM   #50
windy

2015 test at P.E.E.M.S. club of repaired steam generator after last years burst plus checking redesigned piston.

Paul