Project of the Month built by mayhugh1

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > General Engine Discussion > connecting rods and bushings

Old 12-24-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
Kermit

Default connecting rods and bushings

I think this is a unique type of rod bearing that would more suited to miniture models in that it allows the use of one single bolt to adjust bearing grip.

But how to provide with lubrication?

any ideas?

Kermit

Old 12-24-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
chipstractor

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Re: connecting rods and bushings

You probably can't get a good look here...

But this engine has a zerk fitting. Since this is an "upside" down motor "splash" lubrication was insufficient. It does throw of a blob or two of grease, but that just teaches people not to be wearing a suit near me and my machines.

Zerk fitting for this one to...

Old 12-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
Kermit

so a standard zerk that one uses to inject grease?

If these bearings will work on grease and don't need oiling then that's my answer.

Thanks,
Kermit

Old 12-24-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
Paula

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Hi Kermit,

That's an interesting design! Have never seen it before. Have you considered using a grease cup? There are some on this page:

http://deboltmachine.com/_wsn/page6.html

You put some grease in the cap, then screw it onto the body. As you screw the cap down, it forces grease into the bearing. I used these on my Stickney hit/miss engine (from a DeBolt kit) and they worked splendidly. They are a bit messy to fill, however.

Paula

(PS... There doesn't seem to be a way to assemble that bearing, the way it's drawn up.)

Old 12-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
chipstractor

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes standard zerk for grease gun, with channels to allow grease get to where it needs to be. In my applications I am running for minutes to hours, so I can't testify to industrial use.
Depending on application it may work for you.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
compound driver 2

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Hi Kermit
Iv been fitting taper adjusters on big ends on models for many years, with a split brass its the only way to get accurate bearing setup. It also allows any wear to be filed out of half the brass. Lubrication is by way of an oil cup.
I think you can just see the adjuster nut on the big end in this picture.

Old 12-25-2008, 03:21 AM   #7
Kermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula
(PS... There doesn't seem to be a way to assemble that bearing, the way it's drawn up.)
I see two half brasses, one with the slot on the flat away from the shaft. I'm not seeing any problems with it(the dwg). If I'm missing something I guess you're gonna have to spell it out for me.

Blind in one eye and can't see out of the other,
Kermit

Old 12-25-2008, 03:46 AM   #8
scoop

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hi Kermit
I must agree with Paula on this,how do you get the flanged brass segment into the square hole?Is this a test or am I just dim?

puzzled regards Steve C.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:44 AM   #9
Kludge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula
On staring at it with my med and caffotine soaked brain, I think I see it. It looks like the wedge piece on the right - the one held down by a bolt - can be removed leaving enough room to wiggle the rest out without resorting to large hammers, torches or bad language. Well, not a lot anyway.

I think.

Best regards,

Kludge

Old 12-25-2008, 04:55 AM   #10
joeby

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Could be that the flange is only on both sides at the left end, the right end would be held in place by the crank journal and wedge? If so, removing the wedge would allow it to come apart.

The individual who made the drawing has apparently left out some information. What exactly does the hidden line around the bore represent?

Kevin