Project of the Month built by driller1432

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Metals > Work hardened brass

Old 12-20-2017, 03:36 AM   #11
Cogsy

Liked 486 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 475

I think (and equally could be entirely wrong here) but the difference is the temperatures between various metals. Putting too much heat into a steel, above curie temp, and you're into the hardening range where properties are changing rapidly. Once you have the properties you're after you rapidly cool it to lock those properties in. Putting just enough heat is providing energy for the molecules to start nicely aligning and increasing the malleability of the metal, which is annealing (I think of it sort of like 'untangling the threads' of the material so it's easy to bend). Again, when the required properties are obtained we can quench the material and 'set' those properties. As I said, I think this is the case for most metals but there's bound to be other properties to consider for different metals.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:35 PM   #12
crueby
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 721 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When annealing brass/copper, its the heat that matters, all the quenching does is let you get back to work faster. It does not matter when annealing brass/copper if you quench or just let it air cool.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #13
tornitore45
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
When annealing brass/copper, its the heat that matters, all the quenching does is let you get back to work faster. It does not matter when annealing brass/copper if you quench or just let it air cool.
Finally, Crueby got it right!

Old 12-26-2017, 10:21 PM   #14
fcheslop

Liked 99 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Although it makes no difference if you quench or not. I find it better to quench the brass or copper into a mild pickling solution as it cleans the oxide from the job . More important when flanging as it saves the oxide becoming embedded into the metal when bashing it over formers. Once the brass or copper is clean for decorative work you can get some nice colouring effects using a torch
just my two pennies worth
cheers

bazmak Likes This