Project of the Month built by driller1432

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > General Engine Discussion > 1/4 Galloway tapered keyway

Old 12-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #11
MachineTom
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 121 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineTom View Post
I have broached keyways by making a Spud/bushing with a taper to match the flywheel taper. Cut a groove that fits the broach parallel to the tapered surface.

Now place the Spud, with the groove side against the cutting table. Now after you cut it, the Spud will sit with the groove vertical, to allow a straight push of the broach.
A bunch of work, but the Spud will hang around doing nothing until the next time it's needed.
I just reread the first post. Since the shaft and flywheel are straight bored. You need to machine the Spud broach groove to the angle needed. The groove bring deeper at the end opposite the starting end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockmanjohn View Post
Thanks for the help. I can do that. As for the key itself, does it have to be heat treated or can I just make it from mild steel and leave it? There can't be too much pressure on it. Thanks, John.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:03 PM   #12
MachineTom
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 121 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineTom View Post
I have broached keyways by making a Spud/bushing with a taper to match the flywheel taper. Cut a groove that fits the broach parallel to the tapered surface.

Now place the Spud, with the groove side against the cutting table. Now after you cut it, the Spud will sit with the groove vertical, to allow a straight push of the broach.
A bunch of work, but the Spud will hang around doing nothing until the next time it's needed.
I just reread the first post. Since the shaft and flywheel are straight bored. You need to machine the Spud broach groove to the angle needed. The groove bring deeper at the end opposite the starting end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockmanjohn View Post
Thanks for the help. I can do that. As for the key itself, does it have to be heat treated or can I just make it from mild steel and leave it? There can't be too much pressure on it. Thanks, John.