Project of the Month built by driller1432

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Team Builds > Team CAD build

Old 04-05-2015, 12:20 PM   #31
Jasonb
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 421 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Taking the discussions off to Skype does not do the thread a lot of good either as people who may have had an interest will have missed out and drfted away.

J

Old 04-05-2015, 08:19 PM   #32
mrehmus

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Possible engines for the project

I have two complete engines drawn in SolidWorks by an engineering class at the
University of Idaho. They are the Ford Model A with gearbox and the Wright brothers second engine, the upright 4-cylinder.
I have the Solidworks files for both.
Either set could be donated to the project with the understanding that I could, perhaps, publish the results in Model Engine Builder magazine.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:39 PM   #33
Dave Sohlstrom

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

With the engine parts in solidworks 3D model form they can be imported into OnS but that would defeat the purpose of learning OnS.
If the parts were in 2D drawing form then the people in the build would need to develop 3D part models in OnS Then sub assemblies and assemblies developed from those models. That could be a good learning experience.
How would you go about distributing the parts to people. There is a solidworks viewer that I believe is free.

There are some of us that have seats of SW but I expect that most do not. There are also folks with a seat of Geomagic design that can handle SW part models. There are also some that may have different 3D CAD programs also.

Then there are folk that OnS may be the first 3D CAD program they have used and are just getting started in learning 3D CAD.

Looking forward to what other people think.

Dave

Old 04-06-2015, 01:10 AM   #34
johnmcc69

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Those are some really good points Dave, & that's exactly how I would see potential customers (The larger ones) evaluating this software. In todays world, collaboration across multiple engineering departments & CAD software is quite common. In the end, the final product in the customers hands is the desired result. Seamlessly integrating the process from "Art to part" ("Point A to point B") is huge. In most cases, paper drawings are created as PDF's, & electronic files used in creating manufacturing tooling, (molds, prototypes, 3D printables...) are "Exported" out as IGES, STEP, SLA, Etc., so operating across multiple CAD platforms probably doesn't matter. These scenarios would certainly be a real world test.

What would the article in the magazine be about? Collaboration? Or just a set of plans created from the software?

John

Old 04-06-2015, 02:20 AM   #35
aonemarine

Liked 187 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrehmus View Post
I have two complete engines drawn in SolidWorks by an engineering class at the
University of Idaho. They are the Ford Model A with gearbox and the Wright brothers second engine, the upright 4-cylinder.
I have the Solidworks files for both.
Either set could be donated to the project with the understanding that I could, perhaps, publish the results in Model Engine Builder magazine.
The model a engine would spark my interest enough to get involved for sure!

Old 04-06-2015, 01:48 PM   #36
RonGinger

Liked 124 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Since I started this thread I suppose I ought to get back in it. I had two ideas, first to see how the shared design part works. Just the little comic engine that Dave started has shown how shared design can work.

My second idea was to get some engine for which only 2D drawings exist, and generate a 3D model of that. If each one of a group did just one or two parts in the end we should have a full 3D model. The model A engine sounds a bit ambitious but why not?

Old 04-06-2015, 02:45 PM   #37
aonemarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonGinger View Post
Since I started this thread I suppose I ought to get back in it. I had two ideas, first to see how the shared design part works. Just the little comic engine that Dave started has shown how shared design can work.

My second idea was to get some engine for which only 2D drawings exist, and generate a 3D model of that. If each one of a group did just one or two parts in the end we should have a full 3D model. The model A engine sounds a bit ambitious but why not?
Very ambitious. Where it could get really interesting is if the drawings are full scale and we need to reduce them to model size. sometimes things dont scale down well, so it would take some forethought and good communication between the modelers.
I would still like to model the palmer yt1, but only have a few pics to go off of. Sooner of later ill get my hands on one to model

Old 04-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #38
Dave Sohlstrom

I have a full size set of plans for the engines on the stern wheel tug Portland that I would like to make a model of some day.
What I did was draw the engine parts full size in then Alibre now GeoMagic and scaled them to 1/24 scale.
Then I dissected the scaled parts to see where I had problems and made adjustments to the full size part.
Problem is at this point in OnS development there is no scaling tool. I have ask for one to be added and I expect they will.

I am thinking that engine parts that are going to be a challenge to model can be taken on by folks that have been working with 3D CAD for some time and then maybe explain to others how they made the part.

Dave

Last edited by Dave Sohlstrom; 04-06-2015 at 05:30 PM.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:45 PM   #39
aonemarine

Ive been using alibre for a few years now and just had a look at onshape, seems to have some of the same features. I will have to poke around in it some more and play around a bit and check out the tutorials.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:01 PM   #40
Dave Sohlstrom

The one big plus with OnS is no maintenance fee. When my current maintenance runs out OnS will save me $300 a year that I can spend on tooling and materials.

Dave