Project of the Month built by driller1432

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Team Builds > anyone interested in a radial team buid

Old 09-05-2011, 08:46 AM   #81
SBWHART
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 192 Times on 176 Posts

Default Re: anyone interested in a radial team buid

Hi Guys

The manufacture of the crankcase can be simplyfied if you can drop on some 1 3/4" hax bar, failing that it will have to be 2" dia stuff.

Stew

Old 09-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #82
pcw

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path
Update on drawings and other issues ..

I'm almost finished #18 Crank Case drawing.

I had a few questions so I emailed Stewart and he was very helpful.

We need to decide what to use for the M2 & M3 screws. Finding the matching metric screws
and taps with the same pitch may be a bit of a problem. Taps are in the $15 and up range.

So we should consider using 2-56 and 4-48, if someone will look into this so I can get back
on the drawings I sure would appreciate it. I haven't look into "8BA" thing yet. Once a decision is made
I can change the drawings.

Also, Stewart suggested that we use long screws (cut the heads off) as they are much cheaper than the rods.

Does anyone know Solidworks? I'm having a little trouble with some of the views.

The next drawing will be item #14 Main Bearing Housing this should be much easier and
will start the assembly process.

Later,

Pat H.
i will suply all nuts, washers and threaded rod for the engines. if i know who will assemble all engines, i can send in m3 tap too since the are bit cheaper here. cant see use of m2 in drawing, am i missing something?
Pascal

Old 09-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #83
stevehuckss396
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 944 Times on 636 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcw
if i know who will assemble all engines,
When the parts were finished for TB4 we had a list of addresses for all members. I sent my parts directly to the other builders. When all my parts showed up I assembled my own engine. That's part of the fun.

Chris

1-3/4 hex bar is $50 a foot plus shipping. I live less than 10 miles from 4 major metal suppliers. If you want to change my part to the crankcase I can probibly get the best price and avoid shipping. Unless someone already has a piece on hand.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #84
chrispare

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_ottoboni

--------Since I'm doing parts 20 and 21, --------

I think that part 20,21,22 should be kept togeather ifthats alright wth you guys.

About the liners: Could I use trunk shocks for them? They're perfect for this (chrome inside and 16mm bore), and i can buy many of them, so I could be one of the 3 person needed for cylinders, liners and pistons (i could do 12 of each, in total of 4 groups of cylinders)!
If it will work and the others are ok with it so am I
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When the parts were finished for TB4 we had a list of addresses for all members. I sent my parts directly to the other builders. When all my parts showed up I assembled my own engine. That's part of the fun.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes thats how we should dothisbuid well, When assembleing it nice to see ho the other parts were machined,as well as undertandin te engine design.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Chris

1-3/4 hex bar is $50 a foot plus shipping. I live less than 10 miles from 4 major metal suppliers. If you want to change my part to the crankcase I can probibly get the best price and avoid shipping. Unless someone already has a piece on hand.

So I can change you to the crankcase? and take you off the rods?

Old 09-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #85
maverick

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I may have hex stock for the crankcases and most certianly have 2" round. I'll have to check at the shop tomorrow.
The stock I'm using for the flywheels is leftover from TB5, So I could do the crankcases as well.
I also have the metric taps so we can build to print.

Regards,
Mike

Old 09-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #86
stevehuckss396
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispare

So I can change you to the crankcase? and take you off the rods?
Yep! I'll do the crankcases. I should be able to make 15 Pcs from a 2 foot piece. I'll see about getting some tomorrow.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #87
pcw

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I will start on 12 oak baseplates and think of nice brass plate to go with it. what will be best, send to each builder one of them, or send them to one central member?
ill go get the nuts and washers to send out with them.
first team build for me, i am all excited, hope you are all too. lets make it a good one
Pascal

Old 09-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #88
stevehuckss396
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcw
I will start on 12 oak baseplates and think of nice brass plate to go with it.
Pascal, wait until everything is finalized and Chris waves the green flag. We may end up with 13 or 14 and you dont want to go back for a few more once your half done.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #89
Path

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
About the liners: Could I use trunk shocks for them? They're perfect for this (chrome inside and 16mm bore), and i can buy many of them, so I could be one of the 3 person needed for cylinders, liners and pistons (i could do 12 of each, in total of 4 groups of cylinders)!
I don't have any issues with using truck shocks if it is okay to have an Aluminum Piston against a Chrome wall??
However ... You will need to change the piston diameter to match the 16mm bore and the Gudgio (item #. My pistons/liners would not be changed. And, I guess that would be okay. But the OD of the liner can't be changed (the wall thickness from 1.585 to 1.525 to me is okay) as that would require a change to the Crank Case opening and that would be too much of a change.

Quote:
i will suply all nuts, washers and threaded rod for the engines. if i know who will assemble all engines, i can send in m3 tap too since the are bit cheaper here. cant see use of m2 in drawing, am i missing something?
Pascal
The M2 is used on the Crank Case pg 3 zone B4, those holes mount item #21 Port Flange which uses the 8BA Counter Sunk Screws.

Thanks for the offer for the M3 tap, I think I can find a fellow machinist that has a set.

Pat H.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #90
rleete

Liked 36 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Sorry, late to the party as usual. Computer virus messed up the machine bad enough to require a total wipe of the drive and reload of the OS.

I'm running short on time these days, so I will have to bow out of the build. Hope you guys have a successful team effort, and look forward to seeing the results posted.