Project of the Month built by gbritnell

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > HMEM > Introduction > Hello from Hertfordshire

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2017, 07:35 PM   #1
pat_pending
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 4
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Hello from Hertfordshire

Hi and thanks for having me in your forum!

To introduce myself, Iím Patrick and I have a making addiction. Everything from rockets to robots, Gin to go-karts...even some electronics and Software in there too.

Thanks to forums including yours, Iíve taught myself metalwork over the past 4years and have managed to make some steam/air engines that run (Elmers 25 and H-twin), some that donít (Jan Ridders flame-eater) and a Webster I/C which is almost ready to share!! Eying up a 2-stroke Diesel such as a Boll-Aero as my next project.

My workshop is mainly Chinese (SC6 and Sieg SX3 Converted to CNC with a converted vertex rotary table) but eying up American and English heavy metal for when I win the lottery (soon, I can feel it!).

Anyway, really looking forward to contributing and being amongst likeminded obsessives.

Patrick


pat_pending is offline  
Michel_Mike_Chaput Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:15 PM   #2
Herbiev
Administrator
HMEM_ADMIN.png
 
Herbiev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,149
Liked 263 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Default

Hi and welcome to the forum Patrick


__________________
Herbie
Hallett cove
South australia
Herbiev is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:45 AM   #3
Cogsy
 
Cogsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,734
Liked 448 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 438

Default

Welcome Patrick. My first engine was one of Jan's Flame lickers - they can be a challenge to get running.
__________________
Al.
______________________
I'd like to be a perfectionist, but I lack the patience...not to mention the skill...
Cogsy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:18 AM   #4
pat_pending
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 4
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogsy View Post
Welcome Patrick. My first engine was one of Jan's Flame lickers - they can be a challenge to get running.
Thanks Al, yours in the profile pic looks beautifully made. I might have another go at mine as I think its not too far off! I'm pretty sure its the slight misalignment of the cylinder to the crankshaft that's preventing it from running as it 'tightens up' at the top of the stroke.
pat_pending is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:24 AM   #5
Blogwitch
Ex Bogstandard
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png
 
Blogwitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Crewe, UK
Posts: 3,515
Liked 656 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Default

Patrick,
Don't be ashamed of your far eastern machinery, with a little care and looking after they are just as good as old iron, in many cases, far superior.

The Jan Ridders flame licker that I built was the first one to be shown running on the open web many moons ago.

But instead of one cylinder, which I got running OK, I made two, tried in a couple of different configurations, side by side and this one.


John
__________________
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it!!
Blogwitch is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #6
pat_pending
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 4
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blogwitch View Post
Patrick,
Don't be ashamed of your far eastern machinery, with a little care and looking after they are just as good as old iron, in many cases, far superior.

The Jan Ridders flame licker that I built was the first one to be shown running on the open web many moons ago.

But instead of one cylinder, which I got running OK, I made two, tried in a couple of different configurations, side by side and this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyrWRBoC-2c

John
Hi John, that's an excellent build. Nice runner!

RE the machinery, I agree with your point. I guess I'm really just after a few additional features which I tend never to see on the Chinese machines namely quick change gear box and a power crossfeed. On the Mill, it would be a faster/more powerful spindle and a wit more 'bulk' so i can take harder cuts and speed up the process a bit. Very happy with my set up for now though in reality.

Patrick
pat_pending is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:25 PM   #7
Woodster
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hertfordshire - UK
Posts: 99
Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Hi Pat and welcome.
Where in Hertfordshire are you? I'm in West Herts.
Woodster is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:17 PM   #8
Blogwitch
Ex Bogstandard
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png
 
Blogwitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Crewe, UK
Posts: 3,515
Liked 656 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Default

Pat,

In fact this engine (still a perfect runner) has done many hours, the discoloration is caused by using a blowtorch to warm up the cylinders for a few minutes. When people call around, they always want to see my engines running, so it has had a lot of warm ups.
With this engine, without warming it up, you will most probably spend hours playing about with the flame position, and you might never succeed in getting it to turn over consistently.

The thing with far eastern machinery, like most things nowadays, the more you spend the more features you get. just like buying a new car. I do have larger far eastern machinery and they have all the features I could ever want, except for a few small mods that I did to make things a lot easier for me. A few more now to be done as I am converting to VFD control and instead of having a pendant, all buttons and switches will be mounted through the main flat fascia plate.

http://www.chesterhobbystore.com/cru...uxe-3980-p.asp

When trying to mod old iron, and I have had them as well, it is more difficult as all cast surfaces are usually curved, so difficult to bolt things to, whereas, especially far eastern lathes,. they are made mainly from flat plate. Not a thing people think about when buying their cherished old time iron.

Sorry to have sent your post off track.

John
__________________
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it!!
Blogwitch is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:59 PM   #9
pat_pending
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 4
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blogwitch View Post
Pat,

In fact this engine (still a perfect runner) has done many hours, the discoloration is caused by using a blowtorch to warm up the cylinders for a few minutes. When people call around, they always want to see my engines running, so it has had a lot of warm ups.
With this engine, without warming it up, you will most probably spend hours playing about with the flame position, and you might never succeed in getting it to turn over consistently.

The thing with far eastern machinery, like most things nowadays, the more you spend the more features you get. just like buying a new car. I do have larger far eastern machinery and they have all the features I could ever want, except for a few small mods that I did to make things a lot easier for me. A few more now to be done as I am converting to VFD control and instead of having a pendant, all buttons and switches will be mounted through the main flat fascia plate.

http://www.chesterhobbystore.com/cru...uxe-3980-p.asp

When trying to mod old iron, and I have had them as well, it is more difficult as all cast surfaces are usually curved, so difficult to bolt things to, whereas, especially far eastern lathes,. they are made mainly from flat plate. Not a thing people think about when buying their cherished old time iron.

Sorry to have sent your post off track.

John
Sounds like some good advice. That Chester lathe looks like an absolute beauty! I think thats probably he size lathe id be looking for when I outgrow my SC6.

Project pics to follow...

Patrick
pat_pending is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:56 AM   #10
Rickl
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Australia
Posts: 37
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default

Welcome Patrick. I've have a C6 lathe and also X2 mill. They've never let down.

Rick
Sth. Australia.


Rickl is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Newest Threads






- Top - Member List