Project of the Month built by mirek111

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Tools > Rotary tables from India?

Old 04-18-2018, 11:12 AM   #11
goldstar31

Liked 382 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 604

India and China are rather BIG places and quality varies enormously. The surprising thing is that the largest amounts in the cost to the consumer lie with transport, the importer, and of --of course, the government at the point of sale- not production.

Perhaps some study should be concentrated on economics- with a modicum of engineering! There is always 'someone' who missed his lesson on price-- or was fast asleep.

Norm

Old 04-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #12
johnl
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

I bought a Grizzly H7527 6" rotary table w/ dividing plates and tailstock (made in India).
It required the usual tweaking out of the box but has performed fine since.
I used it for parts on my Hodgson 9 cyl. radial engine including all the gears.
John

Old 04-18-2018, 07:52 PM   #13
ironman

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a 4 inch that I have been using 5-6 years. Works great. 99 bucks from Harbor Freight. Made in India.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:10 PM   #14
Gordon

Liked 59 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I am amazed at the visual aspects of many of the off shore products. If you look at them the paint job or plating looks great but many of them are junk. If they spent a little more on quality materials and a little more time on proper machining and fitting would be much more usable but they concentrate on making it look good. For most of us we want it to perform the task and do not display it on the coffee table. I have purchased items for one time or limited use and had them fail just because the steel was too soft or the fit was so poor that they stripped the threads or experienced excessive wear before I even completed the one time use.

Some times the items can be used by some re-machining or lighter use. For instance I have one of the Harbor Freight 4" rotary tables and I can use it by tightening the table clamps and taking light cuts. This is possible for the once a year I use it but if I used it on any sort of regular basis it would be too much bother.

Periodically I end up purchasing something for one time use that when I was in business I would not have even considered. For instance I used to spend $100+ for a drill motor when I would be drilling holes for hours but now I may purchase a $25 drill motor because I am only going to drill two holes and then put it away for weeks. Now that I am retired and doing this as a hobby putting it down to cool off and going to get a cup of coffee is not a problem.

RM-MN Likes This