Project of the Month built by driller1432

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Showing Them > A Work In Progress > Forrest Edwards radial 5

Old 12-30-2017, 09:36 PM   #11
josodl1953

Liked 16 Times on 7 Posts

Default crankcase

So, with the camring finished at last, it was time to take on the bigger parts.
As I mentioned earlier, I re-designed the crankcase so it would be made in two pieces. There are different reasons do do so.First of all, the material I had is a hollow bushing,being a rejected part of the recoil shock absorber of a M109 howitzer I took home when I was working as a QA engineer at a company which overhauled military equipment some 25 years ago. Also, it was easier to machine the bearing fittings for the crankshaft and idler bearings on a separate
part. And, if I mess up the bearing housings it would not be necessary to make a new crankcase, only a new bearing cover.
A year ago I made a fixture for machining the flat sides of the crankcase . I practised on a wooden model and now I could find out if it worked out on metal as well, which it did. I did not know what kind of aluminium is was but by machining it gave a magnificent bright gloss....great stuff, that.
After drilling with my drilling jig, I made the bearing cover and the idler assy. For fitting and checking the mesh of the gears, I used the dummy crankshaft I used in the wooden mockup and a dummy cam housing I made from a stack of perspex rings bolted together.

Attached Thumbnails
m 109.jpg   wood and metal.jpg   planing.jpg   turning.jpg   drilling.jpg  

so far.jpg   idler assy.jpg   with camring.jpg  
Pat1311 Likes This