Project of the Month built by driller1432

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Boilers > 16" OD vertical boiler

Old 07-21-2017, 06:43 PM   #1
428Bird
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 16" OD vertical boiler

I am considering constructing a vertical boiler out of 16" OD, standard wall (.375" thk.) A-106 Grade B Pipe. This is seamless carbon steel process piping. The tubesheets will be 1/2" thick SA516-70 plate, turned to fit the ID, and welded in.

Question is, is there a down and dirty formula for calculating the number of tubes and their diameter? I was thinking thick walled copper tubes, rolled into the tubesheets.

Thanks,

Britt Bettell

Old 07-22-2017, 02:38 AM   #2
vederstein
Must do dumb things....

Liked 286 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 84

That's a serious boiler.

Is this for running a "real" engine, model, displays? Will it be for continuous use or intermittently?

I don't have answers you're asking for, but if you're going to build this it yourself, consider a monotube boiler. They are by their nature the safest boiler out there. The outer shell is just a shell and isn't pressurized. The amount of pressurized water is minimal compared to other types (water tube and fire tube). If the boiler (tube) does burst, the shell contains the BLEV explosion and directs it in a safe direction.

My monotube boiler runs my 1/2 hp engine without too many issues (especially since I added an Arduino microcontroller to control the feed water and burner).

PM me if you would like more information.

...Ved.

charlesfitton Likes This 
Old 07-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #3
428Bird

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vederstein View Post
That's a serious boiler.

Is this for running a "real" engine, model, displays? Will it be for continuous use or intermittently?

I don't have answers you're asking for, but if you're going to build this it yourself, consider a monotube boiler. They are by their nature the safest boiler out there. The outer shell is just a shell and isn't pressurized. The amount of pressurized water is minimal compared to other types (water tube and fire tube). If the boiler (tube) does burst, the shell contains the BLEV explosion and directs it in a safe direction.

My monotube boiler runs my 1/2 hp engine without too many issues (especially since I added an Arduino microcontroller to control the feed water and burner).

PM me if you would like more information.

...Ved.
I appreciate your response. Monotube - like the Doble and White steam cars, and Elesco steam generators?

I wanted to go traditional with more boiler than I need (at the moment) to give myself room to grow as I build larger engines. I work for an engineering company with some outstanding ASME engineers. It'll be a good and safe design. I was just curious how you all were calculating your tube size and quantities.

Britt

Old 12-15-2017, 02:01 AM   #4
chrsbrbnk

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default boiler tubes

I would suggest going with fewer, larger tubes, say 1.5 rather than a larger number of smaller like 7/8 16 is a bigger dia than most of the states consider to be a model might affect the ability to exhibit at shows how long is the boiler going to be and how big is the fire box?

Old 12-15-2017, 02:52 AM   #5
428Bird

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsbrbnk View Post
I would suggest going with fewer, larger tubes, say 1.5 rather than a larger number of smaller like 7/8 16 is a bigger dia than most of the states consider to be a model might affect the ability to exhibit at shows how long is the boiler going to be and how big is the fire box?
Thanks for the reply. I hadn't decided on a height. The firebox will be limited by the boiler inside diameter, which is 16 inches - that's 1.39 square feet, below the Texas limit of 2 square feet.

Britt

Old 12-15-2017, 03:22 PM   #6
Charles Lamont

Liked 108 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 14

The ideal tube diameter depends on their length. I suggest you decide that first then ask again. What fuel?

Old 12-16-2017, 03:02 AM   #7
428Bird

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wood, maybe coal depending on its availability. I haven't put much thought in the design lately, this thread went cold until you replied.