Project of the Month built by mirek111

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Whats Left? > The Break Room > Contemplating Grizzly's Horizontal/Vertical milling machine

Old 01-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
willburrrr2003

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Contemplating Grizzly's Horizontal/Vertical milling machine

Hello all, I am contemplating purchasing this machine with my tax return this year... Please give me your opinion on this machine, or even better if you have tried it or own it tell me how you like it. Here is the catalog page from Grizzly http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2012/Main/550 , the machine is the one at the bottom of the page. It looks like it will do everything I need it to do, and complement my CNC minilathe nicely.

Regards,

Will R. Everett, WA.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
lazylathe

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts

Default Re: Contemplating Grizzly's Horizontal/Vertical milling machine

Hi Will,

That machine also caught my eye when i was looking through the new catalogue!

Looking through the specs it has a very small cross travel, just over 3 inches.

Since it is a new addition i am not sure if anyone will be able to provide any feedback on it.

It is neat that it can do double duty as a vertical and horizontal mill though.

Good luck in your quest!
Let us know what you decide on!

Andrew

Time is money, money is the root of all evil, and knowledge is power. Therefore, procrastination is the key to world peace.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #3
ninefinger

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I saw this discussed on another forum and noted that Grizzly had added it to their lineup. I personally thought that the Y axis travel was just too small but it depends on your own needs. Also when configured as a vertical mill the clearance between the spindle and the work is really small...

You can see a review of it here http://www.mini-lathe.com/mini_mill/reviews/U1/U1.htm

Hope that helps a bit.

Mike

Old 01-13-2012, 03:47 AM   #4
shred

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts

I think the lack of quill / drilling feed and minimal room in Z will be a nuisance. The concept is an interesting one though.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
willburrrr2003

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys, I read through Mike's link and do find the y cross travel to be smaller than I thought from first glance....I was thinking the z wouldn't be to bad if I used collets with 3/8" endmills and a range of collets for drilling... I could make the collets on my CNC minilathe. It was my intention to CNC the mill so I could drill will the z axis at that point. I think the Y travel is gonna be the deal-breaker....I need more. Shame, I loved the vertical mode setup.... it was the most like a knee-mill and that's what I am looking for a mini knee-mill.....basically like a tabletop bridgeport

Regards,

Will R.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
purpleknif

Liked 42 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 191

Take a look on E-bay at the mill sold by Big Dog Metalworks. That's the one I got. More X & z travel and an overall heavier machine. I like mine a lot and I'm a full time machinist.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:13 AM   #7
Blogwitch
Ex Bogstandard
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 715 Times on 536 Posts
Likes Given: 77

What size horizontal arbor has it?

Unless it can accept standard size cutter bores, say 1" or 1.25", then you are going to be making all your own cutters, unless you are going to limit yourself to slitting saws.

These are two basic standard sizes that allow you to buy at very reasonable prices, say off ebay, otherwise specials will start to get very expensive, or as stated, you will be making your own.

John

Old 01-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
geoff

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

An interesting machine, i thought i had seen it somewhere else, it`s a Sieg SU1 universal mill sold in the U.K. by axminster tools and costing a whopping 984.00 they also do a power feed for it.

Geoff

Old 01-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
Tin Falcon
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 815 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Nice looking machine . I like the idea of a bench top combo knee mill. 11 7/8 in X so you can slot or surface a long piece.
they a bit tight in the z almost 5 inches less than the X-2 and a little tight in the Y
I like the concept though. Could be interesting if one had the time and money to open the envelope a bit.
Tin

Old 01-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
MachineTom
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 123 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The horizontial aspect appeals to me, but the vertical distance is very small by the look of it. The spec's do not state the distance. If a 3" cutter was on the Hor. spindle, the work height might only be an inich+/-. A speed of 200rpm on a 3" cutter is way fast, fast even for a 2" cutter. Assuming it take's an R-8 in the horz. spindle, that provides for a 1" arbor, but I don't recall seeing supported arbors as short as the one in the photos.

The lack of geared down low speed I believe kills it use as a Horz mill. With the right gearing a 1/2 motor is fine on a horz mill, but a DC motor slowed to a crawl is not the way to do it.