Project of the Month built by driller1432

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > The Shop > ML4 setup

Old 10-03-2017, 09:17 AM   #121
goldstar31

Liked 328 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSteam View Post
Norm interesting thoughts, (as always), if you just spelled it out for me sometimes would be a lot easier. I like the idea of a dividing head, and vertical slide. Wouldn't need too much adaption would it
As far as I can see it, one simply follows someone like Geo Thomas in his 'Workshop Techniques' to have adapt a casting with a 65 tooth bullwheel to do more than the simple 5 and 13. Mine has the two wormwheels a la GHT but that's GHT! You NEED the book.
As for vertical slides from top slides, it is simply adding a block of square metal and getting a vertical of 90 degrees.

JCSteam Likes This 
Old 10-03-2017, 02:29 PM   #122
fcheslop

Liked 87 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Jon, the reason the bearings became loose is probably the peelable shims are missing at least two people have mentioned it as the reason for the cracking problem
Measure the gap with feeler gauges and either leave them in or sort a shim out it may save some heartache later on. Put simply the adjusting screw has nowt to nip down on and comes loose or some heavy handed so and so over tightens shortly followed by the infamous cracked headstock
Just my two penneth take it or leave it
cheers

People Like This 
Old 10-03-2017, 03:04 PM   #123
goldstar31

Liked 328 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcheslop View Post
Jon, the reason the bearings became loose is probably the peelable shims are missing at least two people have mentioned it as the reason for the cracking problem
Measure the gap with feeler gauges and either leave them in or sort a shim out it may save some heartache later on. Put simply the adjusting screw has nowt to nip down on and comes loose or some heavy handed so and so over tightens shortly followed by the infamous cracked headstock
Just my two penneth take it or leave it
cheers
Fraser might be right and so might I ! Frankly, Jon has failed to - yet again- to give people who may be able to help sufficient information about HIS lathe.
If the lathe is an older version, it will have a single clamp to each journalwhereas, if it is more recent( Errr, uhmm) it will have two bolts to hold down each of the split bearings. or a single bearing at each journal

If there is wear, and Fraser's single bolt arrangement is found, the only safe way to take up the wear is by fitting a slightly thicker spindle and the other obvious result might be 'Crack' and end the story!
Alternatively, if my thoughts are correct, the bearings can either be replaced or built up from reticulated tin salvaged from scrap crankshafts for one cheap way.

Frankly, I'm getting weary of the possibility of upsetting other helpful people because of someone else's refusal to give proper information.

I'm ready to simply ignore the problem and tackle more rewarding challenges.

Norm

Old 10-03-2017, 03:11 PM   #124
JCSteam

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 199

First attempt at making an oil cup, hasn't gone so well, removed 7thou too much from the end that goes into the headstock so it's a loose fit. Not good! Will try again, though this one has at least sorted out what steps I need to take and what order, so the next two will be quicker.

Could have sworn I'd taken more photos, steps I took were to face off the large end of the blank, the turn the outside so I had a good finish, thi was then spot drilled, then drilled with a 7mm bit then stepped upto the large taper drill you can see in the photo bellow. This has a tapered point to it and left a nice changer to the edge no need to bore it.

The blank was then turned and trued up in the 3jaw, needed packing one side to run concentric with what I had turned on the outside, I stepped the edges turning the nub on the end to what i thought was final diameter, and then proceeded to turn a cone on the end towards the nub. This was then drilled with a 1mm drill bit.
Attached Thumbnails
20171003_144908.jpg   20171003_144946.jpg   20171003_153334.jpg   20171003_155121.jpg   20171003_155054.jpg  

Old 10-03-2017, 03:13 PM   #125
JCSteam

Sorry you feel that way Norm.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:51 PM   #126
JCSteam

Guys I'm sorry for been thick, (it's become apparent to me recently), when you were all on about peelable shims missing, I thought you were meaning that the shims should have been fitted between the bearings, and the casting. Having had some conference with Frazer, I think I'm now on the same page as the rest of you, (I'm a visual learner, than a written word learner).

So these peelable shims should be fitted at the front of the lathe, in the void between the bolt that clamps the casting down. Both at the chuck and change gear end.

To answer the questions yes the peelable shims are missing, the lathe is the older type with just one bolt per bearing to tighten them. Yes this is an early lathe headstock that can go crack and never be the same again.

Again sorry for been slow on the uptake. Shims will be made up to fit into the void

Old 10-03-2017, 10:52 PM   #127
Blogwitch
Ex Bogstandard
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 663 Times on 497 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Jon,

I too am feeling the way Norm is, very little info supplied.

To me you are trying to run before you can walk.

Your first issue HAS TO BE the headstock, but because you haven't supplied a single photo taken from above, so we just can't categorize or identify it correctly.. If you don't get the headstock sorted first, you are just pi**ing against the wind with everything else you are trying.

I could get you many photos of what it should look like and how I fixed things as it is still easily available to me, but without help from yourself, why should I bother?

John
Old 10-03-2017, 11:24 PM   #128
JCSteam

Sorry everyone!

I thought I'd suppied as much info as I could but it seems I'm mistaken.

These photos have all been posted to the thread, if you needed something more specific, or from a different angle it would have been nice to be asked such.

Yes I'm a beginner, which comes with it a lack of understanding, both with terminology and with the layout and what info is needed to gauge a true diagnosis of the problems that I have/haven't got with my lathe.

It's worth pointing out I feel at this time I'm struggling financially, having been through 2jobs already this year, and now been paid minimum, having my monthly income decrease by a third. I am short on time, having 5 kids to look after over the weekends, and a two year old full time. All this means I'm left with a basic set up at best, a kitchen base unit, and worktop that I got from freegal, a rickety shed I've repaired best I can and levelled on recycled slate roofing. Using an electric extension lead to provide power to the shed.

It can be deduced that experience I value greatly, means to rectify issues are slim. Time to work in the shed sometime none existant!

If you can't bear with me then I probably shouldn't be here.

All these photos below have been posted on this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
20171003_155054.jpg   20171003_155105.jpg   20170906_145947.jpg  

Old 10-03-2017, 11:48 PM   #129
JCSteam

Please forgive me if I'm out of line, but while turning the oil pot, I turned it round in the chuck and it was running out of concentric, I packed one of the jaws with a piece of Pepsi can and got it running true, to machine the lower part of the pot. No one told me I should do it that way, I know it isn't correct, but it's a fix until I have the means to try and true the run out of the chuck up properly.

The worn saddle was causing issues because small bits of brass and steel chips, were getting underneath the saddle, and causing it jam up, or become stiff when in use. Again a Pepsi can cut to the width of the bed, and a screw put into the middle of the bed, in the hole for fastening the traveling steady, I have an improvised chip tray that means that most of the chips end up away from the ways. Yes the correct way would be to skim bed and saddle, and shim the saddle, do I have means or money to do that no!

I am improvising and finding solutions to what i can within my means. They aren't the correct way to achieve a lathe that's pin point accurate, but this lathe is older than my dad by half my age. Do i expect it to be precision? Nope not really!

Anyhow I'm off to play with a traction engine at the weekend, it may renew my enthusiasm!
bazmak Likes This 
Old 10-04-2017, 03:34 AM   #130
bazmak
BAZMAK
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 965 Times on 556 Posts
Likes Given: 777

Carry on as you are your doing fine. Its not your lack of knowledge/experience/
or finances are niggling people its just the lack of information.Everybody will bend over backwards with help/advice but give us plenty of photos and ask questions no matter how daft. Regards Barry