Project of the Month built by gbritnell

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > The Shop > Bittersweet lucky south bend lathe

Old 03-14-2017, 02:39 AM   #1
Naiveambition

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Bittersweet lucky south bend lathe

Well today I inherited a south bend lathe. Am extremely happy and taken back that this was given to me. A little backstory, When I first got involved in machining, I had met a friends dad that was a machinist by trade. At the time I just wanted to pick his brain, and he showed up the next day and helped with some problems and give me a load of various metal. Feeling thankful, I built him a wobbler. He was blowed away that these kind of models were engines and at my non formal educated machining background.
A little while later I found out that he works for the shop that builds parts and machines for the space station. Which is as we all know the pinnacle of machining and engineering.
I am just happy that my wobbler I built him, impressed someone of his stature.
The bittersweet part is that he passed away a week ago and that my video of my flame engine was the last he watched. While it makes me proud, at the same time I hope to honor his memory with the buildings of other engines, as my first new one will be named after him. His name was Logan Gill out of friends wood Texas .
Ok now the lathe have no clue how anything works lol. Will spend a while restoring, so many other ?s will be asked regarding this machine. Quite a step up from my harbor freight 7x10

Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Henry Likes This 
Old 03-14-2017, 06:06 AM   #2
10K Pete

Liked 108 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Sorry to hear of your friends passing. Congratulations on your 'new' lathe!

If you haven't already, check out this site:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/

Most anything SB is covered there and there are some ex-SB guys who look in regularly. Very helpful!!

Pete

Old 03-22-2017, 02:59 PM   #3
DJP

Liked 59 Times on 50 Posts

From the picture it appears that we have the same SB lathe from the 1940s. Mine continues to do useful work and it came with lots and lots of tooling and chucks. It's a keeper for me.

My only suggestion is to fabricate a stand with an oil drip tray surface. My old lathe passes oil through quickly so keep a squirt can handy and keep it well oiled.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:24 PM   #4
Brian Rupnow
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 3934 Times on 3167 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Great story, dreadful picture. Good Luck.---Brian