Project of the Month built by gbritnell

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Showing Them > A Work In Progress > PM Research No. 1 Build

Old 11-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #231
lkrestorer

Thank you guys for the Photobucket info.
But ... what about machining round stuff like those raised (round) bosses and the circumference of the brass head? Is there a nice neat way of doing that on a manual mill that I'm not aware of?
I have done bolt circles just fine (usually I "cheat" and use the DRO) and I've rounded things by mounting them on the rotary table so I can fix a center point but, like I said, I'd have to reposition and center each of the bolt holes to cut a circle around them. The pictures in this posting made it look like it was a piece of cake.
Maybe I'm being na´ve thinking that there might be an easier way that I don't know of but that's why I'm reaching out to all of you "more seasoned" machinists.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:50 PM   #232
10K Pete

Liked 106 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 172

If you put a pin in the center of the RT that fits the holes in the part then you position the part on the pin for each "rounding". Once the pin is dialed in you only need to watch the divisions on the table or the layout lines on the part.

Pete

Old 11-16-2017, 02:09 PM   #233
lkrestorer

Thanks Pete for the answer. That would be a simpler way than what I was picturing with my tunnel vision and I will probably do it that way. What got me going was the setup that was shown in the pictures. I did not see a rotary table being used and all of the pictures just showed a brass plate fastened to a larger sacrificial aluminum plate that was clamped in a normal vise.
It will be pretty easy to machine the O.D. of the cylinder head and the center decorative depression by "randomly" mounting it on the R.T. The bolt circle can also be drilled before changing the setup. Then the "pin" method can be used to finish the small bosses around each hole.
Those brass pieces do really add some nice shiny bits to the build. I plan on making my own studs and cute little brass nuts, too. The casting kit is in the mail and I'm looking forward to it showing up on my doorstep.
I'd still be interested in hearing how the original machining was done.

Len