Project of the Month built by driller1432

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > The Shop > The new lathe

Old 01-13-2017, 05:51 AM   #11
kiwi2

Liked 72 Times on 42 Posts

Hi John,
I see you have an X2.7 mill. I have an SX2.7 and it has a peculiarity which I'm not sure is a fault or a misguided design feature.
When I use the handwheel on the side to lower the quill (without it rotating) the handwheel rotates a few degrees after the quill hits the baseplate. This means that the drill bursts through at the end of a hole. It can also cause chatter as the quill can bounce up and down.
Does your machine do this?
Alan C.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:09 PM   #12
Johno1958
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 24 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 239

No Alan I have not had anything like that happen at all.I haven't used it much for drilling as I have a small pedestal drill and I haven't need that much precision yet.
As for milling, it quite happily chews through stainless (unknown grade) but for the food industry . key steel . aluminum 6061 .7045 without chattering. I don't take very deep cuts though .
Cheers
John

Old 02-22-2017, 05:44 PM   #13
Pikecatcher

Likes Given: 1

Hi John!
I bought exactly the same lathe, a month ago. It seems very accurate and steady for its price, so I am very happy with it!
The first thing I changed was the toolpost, to a Soba Small quick change, with 8 adjustable toolholders (canīt have too many of them..). I,ve first have to make a new centerbolt and a nut for it. Now, it feels like the lathes at work(but smaller)!
Next project is installing a cooling attachment, save HSS tools and drills a lot, and a must when cutting deep grooves and parting off with HSS parting off blades.
A 4 jaw independent chuck is ordered, and definitely very useful.
Regards Pontus

Old 02-22-2017, 10:10 PM   #14
blanik

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno1958 View Post
Checked and oiled. I used some iso 68 hydraulic oil with a little stp in it which I read about . I can't seem to buy way oil here in Bendigo in small quantities . Did some practice cuts and it seems to cut very nicely . I'll find some easy projects to do and then try a wobbler.

Cheers
John
John,

I just noticed your post re not being able to buy Way Oil. Minitech in Canberra have Mobil Vactra ISO 68 Way Oil in half litre bottles, and they can post it to you.

http://www.minitech.com.au/mobil-vactra-2-iso68-way-oil

Hope that helps,

Blanik

Old 02-22-2017, 10:39 PM   #15
Johno1958
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 24 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Thanks
I have a Tormach 0xa tool post wedge type which seems ok and I will order some way oil today
Cheers
John