Project of the Month built by mirek111

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > General Engine Discussion > swashplate engine

Old 03-29-2018, 10:50 PM   #1
Anatol

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default swashplate engine

On his pages Earl Morse discusses the Colt disc axial engine and shows a newer prototype by Joe Ritter (steam happens #19). He provocatively suggest one might rework an automotive ac compressor as an engine. I've been putting some thought and research into this. (With all the stuff online its amazing how little information there is on how they actually work). Suffice to say, there are (at least) two distinct kinds of swashplate compressor, and its very difficult to work out which designs would be best to try to adapt. Adapting would mean using the pistons, swashplate, drive shaft and casing (and bearings etc), but building new valve systems - probably rotary plates like hydraulic motors, driven by the drive shaft...
Before I bite the bullet and buy a couple to play with, I have a nagging worry that the swashplate mechanism, as implemented in automotive ac compressors, might not be reversible - In the sense that you can't drive the output shaft of a worm gear.
Does anyone have any advice on types of ac compressors or reversibility? Or any other observations/opinions? Utube is full of two stroke IC 'conversions' etc. I don't want to pursue an adaptation that is more difficult and less useful than building one from scratch.
thanks!

Old 03-29-2018, 10:59 PM   #2
Hopper

Liked 164 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Go to an auto air con workshop. they usually have a pile of dead compressors out the back they sell to the scrap metal merchant for a dollar a piece. Cut a couple open and have a look.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:08 PM   #3
Anatol

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hopper
I did call around in my area, so far they seem to send them for reman. But I'll keep trying. thanks.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:31 PM   #4
mcostello

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Another source is a scrapped hydraulic variable speed drive riding mower.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:11 PM   #5
Anatol

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcostello View Post
Another source is a scrapped hydraulic variable speed drive riding mower.
So that would be a hydraulic motor (not an ac compressor). Or a hydraulic pump?

I'll take a look. But per my previous, the "variable speed" - if its the same as a V5 auto ac compressor - will be a problem (to reverse), I think.

But hydraulic motors are inherently reversible, right?

I guess I really have to find one and mess with it.
thx!

Old 04-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #6
MachineTom
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 123 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 7

A swarsh plate compressor is fixed displacement. The swarsh plate is at a fixed position.
The Eaton type hydro drive unit has a variable displacement pump and a fixed displacement motor. Very compact design, available pn ebay. relatively cheap. Many HP versions.