Project of the Month built by gbritnell

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > General Engine Discussion > Timing the hoglet

Old 10-15-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
neil_1821

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Timing the hoglet

As per title really, whatís the best way to time the hoglet?

Iíve set the left piston (looking at it with the camshaft facing me) to TDC. Rotated it 90 degrees clockwise and set the inlet valve to be fully open. Does that sound about right?

Iíve also seen a few hoglet with a carburettor that you pull and a spring then closes it. Are people using ones that come off nitro engines? I have made one myself following Brianís plans but Iím not sure if my tolerances are a bit tight as itís quite stiff to operate.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
retailer

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I don't know about the Hoglet but if I come across an engine without timing marks I have always set the valves rocking at TDC (exhaust valve closing as the inlet valve opens opens), it has always worked for me. Keep turning the engine over and the spark plug should fire just as the piston comes up to TDC again.