Project of the Month built by Rustkolector

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > The Shop > The story of a Kansas boys shop/toolroom/house.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:52 PM   #1
WSMkid

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Default The story of a Kansas boys shop/toolroom/house.

As mentioned in my post about my machines I'm building a shop.

I've been renting a two bed room apartment since I started my job in June. It is pretty nice and the garage has enough room for my (3) motor cycles, side by side and small tool cabinet but to me renting is just throwing away money. My spare bedroom has been taken over by my reloading bench, various gun stuff and my 3D printer.

I knew after about two months working here that I would be sticking around for awhile. Productive work environment yet relaxed and the pay is good. I found three lots in a small town south of work for sale and after 6months messing with the city gov. to get undeveloped roads closed I now own it and am waiting for the grown to thaw to start doing the dirt work.

The building:
I decided on post frame construction. The main building with be 35'x60' with 14' walls. The south end will have one 12' and one 10' over head door. The north end of this building will be closed off and climate controlled. It will be used at my tool room / gun room.

The "house":
My living space will be built into a 16' lean-to that will run the entire 60' of the west side of the building. It will have one bedroom with a bathroom between the bedroom and open kitchen. I will have a sliding class door to go from the living to the shop and a proper front door on the south of the house.

All floors with be slab with floor heat to three different zones. Cooling and some heating will be provided by a "mini split" system with three zones (living room, bedroom, tool room).

At first I was looking at building a house with an over sized garage planing for if I ever find a girl that I get along with well enough to get married. I decided on this because I'm sure if I built something she would not like it and would want something different anyway.

I'm having a local company build the building and I intend to finish the inside to my liking. My goal is to be done enough in June I can move into it when my lease is up. I'm planning on total cost being around $70k.

I hope to update the along the way. If you have built any thing like this I would like feedback on what you would do different.

Thank you for thanking the time to stop by.

GJ

rlukens Likes This 
Old 02-12-2018, 12:03 AM   #2
stevehuckss396
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 948 Times on 639 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Sounds like the perfect setup. Good luck on the build. Hope it goes smooth.

rad45 Likes This 
Old 02-12-2018, 01:39 PM   #3
DJP

Liked 71 Times on 62 Posts

Consider lining the interior of your shop with barn tin. It's effective in keeping the shop cool in summer and warm in winter. It's also easy to clean and rugged. Used tin sheets mounted backwards work well as there is no need for the interior sheets to be fastened with rain proof screws along the ridges.

A thought for your consideration.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:32 AM   #4
WSMkid

DJP,
Thank you for the comment. I had not thought of using used tin. My father tined over the insulation of his 40x60 he built in 05. It is very nice to clean and he used white, combined with the white epoxy floor and white ceiling insulation it is very bright (even with %60 of the fluorescent bulbs not working).
I will likely sheet rock the "toolroom" and leave the main shop studs until I get to the point I can insulate it, then tin over it.

What is everyone using for wall coverings in their shop? Sheetrock? OSB?

GJ

Old 02-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #5
ShopShoe

Liked 116 Times on 106 Posts

A point in favor of sheetrock is that it will help stop the spread of fire, if you are so unlucky.

That said, plywood of some type gives you plenty of surface to mount things to, wherever you want.

Kieth Rucker on YouTube has been building a 40 x 80 foot shop over many months and has covered his walls with a plywood he calls "beadboard", to make the shop seem old-timey. He has added the tin sheeting (usually used for walls) horizontally to cover the plywood from the floor up to about four feet, to stop sparks and make things easier to clean. I'm sorry I don't have a link to a specific video which covers all this as the shop build has been ongoing for quite some time. Find him on YouTube by searching "Kieth Rucker" or "VintageMachinery.org"

I have a mixture of sheetrock and plywood, with special attention paid to plywood behind my benches.

I have also used a material which is basically tempered hardboard (like masonite) with a polished and hardened white coating applied. It is very easy to wipe clean of splashed lathe oil, dust, etc. I found it with the paneling at both Menard's and Lowe's home centers in my area. It works very well stapled over cheap plywood.

Tell us what you do. We like pictures.

--ShopShoe

Old 02-17-2018, 12:53 AM   #6
WSMkid

ShopShoe thank you for stopping by, I agree with OSB/chipboard/plywood allows a person to expand there work space.

Wednesday night my mother and father showed up about 6pm with there skid steer.

Official start date of Feb. 14!

Yesterday I went to work at 5 and was able to sneak out a noon to go help. We met for lunch then headed to the site. While I was at work dad had the pad %90 to grade and mom had made enemy's with the laser transit.
After another two hours we had the 60x70ish pad to within +-1/2". Dad is the Charlie Daniels of the skid steer.
With things leveled out he set to a final pack and cleaning up dirt while I cut brush.
Just before dark we spread out a little gravel for the drive way.

Below (hopefully) is the result. Building guy is to set posts 3/1 so not much to do till then but cut brush and watch it burn, under supervision of a cooler and buddies of course.

IMG_1756.jpg
bazmak Likes This 
Old 02-17-2018, 02:18 AM   #7
rlukens
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 41 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Sounds like a hell of an adventure. I've been happily married forever, but I like you style.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #8
DJP

Liked 71 Times on 62 Posts

If you are planning to heat the concrete floors with either electric wire or hot water tubing, be sure to set anchors in the cement during the pour even if you are not sure of the exact machine locations. Drilling later is high risk of ruining your heated floor. The anchors will give you location info even if they don't line up with the machines or with a future interior wall.

You didn't mention any plans for your shop to support auto repair. An above ground hoist would be a good addition but that too will need anchors in the concrete. I have a 12 foot ceiling in my shop so the hoist works well.

Be sure to have enough 240VAC capacity in your shop. It's not a big deal if only one person is working at a time but if a crew comes to work you need to support all of the machines running at the same time.

Finally lighting is best if you can run a continuous line of tubes. The loss with a high ceiling is less from a line source. A couple of strings to reduce shadows is also a benefit if you ever spray paint in the shop. I also prefer task lighting so that each machine or workstation has a lamp. This may be an age related requirement that you can add later.

Building storage above the ceiling is easier during initial construction and you may want to add a steel beam for a future lift point. Adding these things later is a nuisance so plan them now if you can.

Just some thoughts for your consideration at this stage of your planning.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #9
WSMkid

Default The story of a Kansas boys shop/toolroom/house.

DJP thank you for stopping by.

I have kept a two post lift in mind throughout the designing, it's the main reason for the second over head door. I've decided to not include floor heat in the main shop area. The price to install can be used for conventional heat and better insolation down the road. With that being said I have intentions to end up with a thicker pad in the rough areas where the posts will stand.

I've no intentions to anchor any other equipment to the slab.

GJ

Edit: Also thank you for the recommendations on lighting, I will keep the strip theory in mind.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #10
ShopShoe

Liked 116 Times on 106 Posts

Floor Heat.

Even if you don't use it now, it might be a good idea if you put the tubes in while pouring. I wish I had pushed the contractor who built my garage to do that as I would only be a boiler away from a nicely-heated garage/shop.

Just the voice of experience,

--ShopShoe

bazmak Likes This