Project of the Month built by driller1432

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Engines From Castings > Rudy Kouhoupt's Open Column Steam Engine - Cast & Double Size

Old 01-21-2018, 07:37 PM   #51
vederstein
Must do dumb things....

Liked 286 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Today I did the burnout and aluminum pour of the posts.

The burnout went fairly well. I placed the cured investment in the furnace upside down. The burn started at a low fire for 30 minutes then I jacked it up to a roaring burn for about an hour.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01880.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	92985

Name:	DSC01881.jpg
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	92986

Name:	DSC01882.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	92991

I noticed that the investment didn't fully fill the below the mold, but I forged ahead anyway embedding the investment into sand after blowing it out with compressed air. (The black bars are from the pieces of steel roundstock I had under the investment to let the heat in.)

Name:	DSC01884.jpg
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	92988

Here's a video of the pour and breakdown.

As you can see, I had not a useable part out of the four posts. I guess I should pour one at a time. Perhaps a taller sprue? Perhaps a mold that fills from the bottom with an air vent to the top? I welcome comments and insight.

On the plus side, where the casting did come out well, it was so well defined I could see the layers from the 3D print.

Name:	IMGP2398.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	92989

Name:	IMGP2399.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	92990

On the other hand, perhaps I should start modelling ruins from the Classical Age (ancient Greece & Rome).

...Ved.

Cogsy Likes This 
Old Today, 12:35 AM   #52
WSMkid

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vederstein View Post
Today I did the burnout and aluminum pour of the posts.

The burnout went fairly well. I placed the cured investment in the furnace upside down. The burn started at a low fire for 30 minutes then I jacked it up to a roaring burn for about an hour.

Attachment 92985
Attachment 92986
Attachment 92991

I noticed that the investment didn't fully fill the below the mold, but I forged ahead anyway embedding the investment into sand after blowing it out with compressed air. (The black bars are from the pieces of steel roundstock I had under the investment to let the heat in.)

Attachment 92988

Here's a video of the pour and breakdown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRYpEzD8nVY

As you can see, I had not a useable part out of the four posts. I guess I should pour one at a time. Perhaps a taller sprue? Perhaps a mold that fills from the bottom with an air vent to the top? I welcome comments and insight.

On the plus side, where the casting did come out well, it was so well defined I could see the layers from the 3D print.

Attachment 92989
Attachment 92990

On the other hand, perhaps I should start modelling ruins from the Classical Age (ancient Greece & Rome).

...Ved.

Was your investment pre heated at the time of pour?

No personal experience but that seems to be a must to help prevent flashing.

Thank you for sharing.
Always following,

GJ