Project of the Month built by Rustkolector

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Showing Them > A Work In Progress > PeeWee V4 slow build

Old 02-04-2018, 10:57 PM   #171
michael-au
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 328 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 785

Good work Al, block looks really good

Cogsy Likes This 
Old 02-19-2018, 12:57 PM   #172
Cogsy

Liked 504 Times on 390 Posts
Likes Given: 495

Instead of the pistons I figured I'd attempt the centre main bearing first so I could finally mount the crank properly. I started with a chunk of 1-1/2" LG2 bearing bronze but I couldn't face another marathon hacksawing session, so I used a slitting saw to cut it in half instead. Once I had 2 pieces I took a quick skim cut to smooth the cut sides.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CB1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	504.0 KB
ID:	93605

From there I soft soldered the two halves back together. I tried to get both halves lined up but it's a tricky job that needs more than two hands and it's not critical at all, so rough enough was good enough.

Name:	CB2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	509.5 KB
ID:	93606

Then it was into the 4 jaw and adjusted til the join was centred. I used the point of a live centre as a reference and it took no time at all.

Name:	CB3.jpg
Size:	521.4 KB
ID:	93607

I would like to say it was then a simple boring and turning operation but in reality the thin thrust edges of the bearing deformed during machining and took a lot of fettling to reshape and adjust to fit. Then a quick flash of the torch (after marking both halves to keep them matched) separated them ready for fitting. After having seen how Michael-au machined his big-end bearings using a dummy conrod end for support while turning, I'm going to copy his method for my big-ends and I expect they'll go a lot easier than this one did.

Name:	CB4.jpg
Size:	533.4 KB
ID:	93608

Finally, I slopped a bit of light weight oil on everything, temporarily fitted the crank and spun it by hand (with a spanner) to free it up a little. Once I was happy everything was properly aligned and fully lubricated, I spun it over at a few hundred rpm using the lathe to drive it and it now turns nice and smoothly, though it's still got a little ways to go before I'd call it free-spinning.

Name:	CB5.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	645.3 KB
ID:	93609

michael-au Likes This 
Old 02-19-2018, 01:20 PM   #173
Cogsy

Liked 504 Times on 390 Posts
Likes Given: 495

And with the crank now in place, I could finally start on the pistons. The first operation is the most fun, with a nice and simple turning job to make some cute little piston blanks. I used a reground parting blade to cut the ring grooves (they're about 0.035" wide from memory) and took a partial depth parting cut at the correct piston length (plus a smidge for final facing) leaving a decent stub, machined concentric to the piston, to hold onto for further operations.

Name:	Pistons1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	571.8 KB
ID:	93610

Onto the mill, I held the stub in a 5C collet in a square holding block and centred with the ever-useful coaxial indicator. From here cutting the conrod clearance slot was a simple piece of milling.

Name:	Pistons2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	485.5 KB
ID:	93611

Laying the collet block down and rotating it 90 degrees ensured the gudgeon pin hole was perfectly orthogonal (that's a fancy word for perpendicular I've been wanting to use ) to the slot I'd just milled. Then it was just a matter of repeating for the rest of the bunch (7 in total for some extras for safety and maybe a key-chain or something).

Name:	Pistons3.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	578.3 KB
ID:	93612

Then they were returned to the lathe and parted off from the stubs. I elected to hold them by the stub for the parting to make sure the fragile pistons weren't damaged, then I lightly chucked each piston in turn, wrapped in some protective masking tape, and faced off the final couple of thou to finish. These 4 are the ones destined to go up and down really fast and make lots of noise.

Name:	Pistons4.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	427.0 KB
ID:	93613

Really happy to be getting the main rotating elements done now. Hopefully soon I'll be able to spin the crank and have things going up and down which will amuse me for hours at a time.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:35 PM   #174
michael-au
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 328 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 785

Coming along nicely
Cogsy Likes This 
Old 02-19-2018, 01:43 PM   #175
Brian Rupnow
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 4044 Times on 3214 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Great work, as usual Cogsy. I'm watching.--Brian
Old 02-19-2018, 10:48 PM   #176
Herbiev
Administrator
HMEM_ADMIN.png

Liked 286 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Looking great so far Cogsy. Keep the pics coming.

Cogsy Likes This