Project of the Month built by Rustkolector

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > General Engine Discussion > Starting the hoglet

Old 01-19-2018, 07:52 PM   #1
neil_1821

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Starting the hoglet

I have a few questions relating to the starting of the hoglet, hoping someone could offer some advice.

I tried starting my hoglet tonight, for the first time ever, but I kept getting fuel peeing out of the carb with the fuel line plumbed in without anything moving. I'm pretty sure that's not normal but I can't see that there's anything wrong as it was built to the plans and everything is literally to size by a few thousandsth of an inch. The design itself is the 2 Jet throttle by Jerry E Howell.

Secondly, my timing is that it sparks just as it begins it's downward stroke, is that normal?

I got a few pops and bangs/farts from the exhaust but that's all. I'm going to re-check my timing tomorrow, but thought i'd see if anyone had anything else to check.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #2
Mike1
Mike1

Liked 19 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You may have your fuel tank level too high causing the fuel to syphon, the top of the tank should be level with the jet or below, the engine suction should pull the fuel through the jet. Set the ignition to fire at TDC once it is running you can adjust for best running position.

I don't have Hoglet but the above is how I run my engines.

Mike.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #3
neil_1821

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for that Mike, I never realised it could syphon if the tank was too high!

I’ll adjust the timing and take it from there

Old 01-20-2018, 04:32 PM   #4
neil_1821

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So I've adjusted my timing so that it sparks at TDC and it seemed to improve but it doesn't seem to me that its drawing much fuel. I'm using the colemans fuel from here: http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/coleman-liquid-fuel-p175327

It'll pop and bang more so than it did last night but it just won't catch. I'm really struggling for things to check as I've not much knowledge in this area. Can anyone help because i'm about ready to put it in the bin

Old 01-20-2018, 04:58 PM   #5
Mike1
Mike1

Liked 19 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Don't bin your engine most engine builders have gone through the no start phase, at least the engine is popping and banging, check fuel needle settings which can be critical and maybe try petrol see if that makes any difference.

If you have compression, a timed spark, fuel at the needle jet, you are getting there.

Mike.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:54 PM   #6
neil_1821

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Been playing a bit more with it, took the carb off and started spraying fuel directly into it and it kept popping but it was firing out of the inlet rather than the exhaust, so i've adjusted the valve clearances, which made a huge difference to the amount of suction you could feel.
Put the carb back on and it doesn't really seem to suck up any fuel, although placing your finger over the air inlet would suck the fuel up and then it'd pop and bang. The plugs were wet so I think it's more of a carb issue and fuel not being pulled up. It's hard ot know where to put the needles as there's a high speed needle and an idle needle, got both about 2 turns open, but i'm going to go back at it tomorrow and hopefully get a bit better.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:28 AM   #7
lantain1982

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Starting the Hoglet,

Hello Nei1821.
I had the same frustration in starting my Hoglet. Its a bit of a learning curve but this is how I get mine to fire up.
My fuel level is in line with the carby. Fuel line exits the tank and loops to the carby. I open the idle needle valve 1/4 turn. High speed valve is closed.
Set throttle to about 1/2 open. Ignition to fire TDC. Place finger over the carby and spin the engine over a few revs with ignition off. I add that I power spin the engine with an adaptor I fitted to the fly wheel. Turn ignition on. Spin the engine over. Keep spinning, engine should pick up and fire, maybe a bit rough.
Adjust idle jet to get a stable run. I have found high speed jet, if open can upset intial running. Hoglet seems to be touchy about fuel settings.
Keep playing about. Pops and bangs are a good sign.
Hope this helps. LANTAIN1982