Project of the Month built by TonyM

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Machine Modifications > Truing the chuck super easy

Old 10-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #21
fcheslop

Liked 67 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Iv used an HBM chuck for several years and its more accurate than the hardly used Bison that came with the lathe
https://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/...3.html#SID=313
Has anyone made this I keep promising to build one

People Like This 
Old 10-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #22
Blogwitch
Ex Bogstandard
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 648 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I have about a dozen fairly new or little used chucks, most are of the HBM types mentioned by F above, and I have no complaints about any of them.

If anything, I have found that the 4 jaw self centering are slightly better than the 3 jaw ones, with less runout, all less than 1 thou.

Don't forget, if you do buy a far eastern chuck, get a set of soft jaws at the same time, 3 or 4 jaw, you won't regret the little extra cost.

John

Old 10-12-2017, 04:49 PM   #23
goldstar31

Liked 319 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Thanks Frazer but I had to go to my Mac to see more than a black rectangle.

John raised the issue of adding a Keats plate to the library of tools and if I can be minded, I'll weld one up.

My second proper lathe - a Pools Major which you will never have heard about, came with a slotted faceplate that became a gi-norm-ous 4 jaw independent chuck. Probably an old mate still has it but the next variation which is far, far simpler than most came from the shed of one Martin Cleeve who made a tee slotted faceplate which took Myford tee slot bolts ( obviously because he had a Myford)

All it was 8 bits of plate and bolted to a standard 7" Myford faceplate. Again, no milling, just the ability to find bits of plate that ended up to accept Myford tee nuts and bolts.

So it only left things to one's imagination of bits to add. Maybe a vice, maybe a n angle plate or a bit of metal - twer that size and could be peppered with assorted holes and tapped threads ad nauseum until it was filled full of holes.

Brilliant, accurate and dead simple.

Thanks

Norm

Old 10-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #24
fcheslop

I do like the HBM chuck and although its a self centring 4 jaw its my go to chuck
Thanks for the tip that the 3 jaw is not as good as the 4 jaw rarely has more than 2 thou run out and it has been well used but not abused
Its nice to know what others have found as I simply cannot afford to buy replacements on a regular basis and what I have has to last.
I simply like the look of the tooling in the video and from what I can see it takes away some of the faffing about with a keets and its just a nice bit of tooling to make as a break from engines .
Im not sure what to build it from either cast iron or a decent grade of steel although it would not be hardened as I simply dont have the kit although I maybe able to call in a favour or two
This is the problem when you dont have a fully equipped tool room to sneak in and use anymore. The big bonus is I dont have to go and work,
cheers

Old 10-12-2017, 09:50 PM   #25
Blogwitch
Ex Bogstandard
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

F,
That offcentre chuck is basically a small Keats angle plate, but having it built into that block does save a bit of tapping.

The reason I like the Keats is that it can be used and bolted down almost anywhere to get piece parts standing vertically.

John

Old 10-12-2017, 10:06 PM   #26
fcheslop

Hi John, Im missing something then , As I see it used on the rotary as well as the lathe, Im not being difficult just dont see the advantage of the keets over this set up and it looks a lot easier to play with
Im simply not seeing the advantage of the old over the newer although its probably been done before as have most things in this game
cheers

Old 10-12-2017, 11:05 PM   #27
JCSteam

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 183

Going slightly off topic, so forgive me.

Frazer thanks for posting that video, a lot of learning in that video, and a lot of 'ah!!!' Moments for me. I'll be checking a few more of his videos out.....

As for the promise of making one, if you ever do I'd like to borrow it...(already have one steam engine that would benefit from it).....failing that I'd like to make my own. My question would be could this be made to bolt to a faceplate using the same four bolts, and clocked in using the outer diameter of the steel lump.

It's a neat design and one which simplifies variables down to just 1 axis, once set up of course.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:40 AM   #28
Blogwitch
Ex Bogstandard
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

F,

I am not decrying that chuck, but for the cost in money and labour, just a standard Keats will do the job at much lower cost

Everyone to their own.

Plus, depending on the throat on your mill, you might find that putting it on top of an RT, you just mine not have enough room.

John
Old 10-13-2017, 07:05 AM   #29
fcheslop

Hi John, thanks for the reply being a nosy beggar I though I was missing something. I agree its a lot of work but you know whats its like when you just have to make one.
Jon, it wouldnt fit youre lathe as the threads are different .Also you can see a standard keets set up in John pics.They bolt onto a face plate as you can see
RDG amongst others sell them or like Norm mentioned they canbe made by fabricating . Nice try
cheers
JCSteam Likes This 
Old 10-13-2017, 07:24 AM   #30
goldstar31

Liked 319 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Several issues arise as Jon has the construction notes etc from Harold Hall in Model Engineers Workshop. These were from castings!

The next daft thought is that this mumbling inarticulate fellow( I'm almost profoundly deaf, anyway) seems to have used a base not un-similar to my chucks on my Sieg. I had the 4 jaw on and thought- Hummmm? I could use it with only two opposing jaws anyway.

Then , lo and behold, there was light at then end of the tunnel and I recalled a small turret vice where the fixed jaw( so to speak, rottes bringing in various shapes and an opposing conventional jaw but with a brass 'protector'

When the streets air and the intravenous coffee reaches the parts that the naproxens haven't got to, I'll dig it out

It's not new, this concept!

Cheers

N

Note Bone-----Mine is a Dohm of Victoria Street, London whilst further investigation shows an article in Commercial Motor for an improved version called the 'Dohm Colt' Also full write up with pretty pictures on the MigWelding site

There ye go- laughin and scratchin. Now't new.