Project of the Month built by Ghosty
Home Model Engine Machinist > Showing Them > A Work In Progress > A Smaller Steam Engine For A Smaller Boat

Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM   #151
apointofview
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 341 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks for the link for the prop jig. That will be what I use to set up mine. It's going to be out of wood just because I have plenty if it around and I'm only making one prop so burning it up will be ok 😀

Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM   #152
Blogwitch
Ex Bogstandard
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 566 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I am so sorry that I sent you on a wild goose chase, it now looks like your prop is correct.

We used to call that type of straight back blades 'cleaver' type props, originally they were designed to help eradicate cavitation and aeration in props that were running close to or even piercing the surface of the water. It now seems, that since my time, this type of blade has become the normal sort of blade shape.

BTW, these are about the best props you can buy, lost wax cast in bronze or stainless, fully balanced and polished. These were only just starting when I gave up model steam boats, but even then, if you were willing to wait while they were made and pay the money, they were definitely worth waiting a few weeks for.

http://www.prop-shop.co.uk/products.php?cat=steam-scale

The ones I used to make and buy from Raboesch were straight fronted.

A sign of modern times I suppose.

John

Last edited by Blogwitch; Yesterday at 03:41 PM.

Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM   #153
apointofview
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 341 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 4

John,
Not a goose chase at all. Its nice to have ya lookin out for me. It would be bad if you were silent and I made a bad prop. I didn't pick this shape for any other reason than I found a good picture of it and its a respected company that designed it. I'm sure theirs is better but this one should move the boat if the sink test was any indication. I wish I had seen the one you pointed before I made these blades, because its description sounds like its made for just my boat.
Pete