Project of the Month built by mirek111

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Metals > Leaded steel

Old 04-19-2018, 01:17 PM   #11
Engineeringtech

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I work with leaded steel a lot. It has spoiled me. I don't want to cut anything else. It doesn't rust that fast, if the surface finish is fine.... And besides, your cylinder is going to be lubricated, is it not?

Old 04-19-2018, 02:02 PM   #12
Rudy
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Since I posted the question I have done som parts with leaded steel my selves. I agree. Very nice to work with.
However, I have only some 75mm round pieces and have to work a lot to make smaller parts.
This is my Farm Boy cylinder.
Rudy

Attached Thumbnails
2017-11-24 20.12.35.jpg  

Old 04-19-2018, 02:58 PM   #13
werowance
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 98 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 6

i love working with 12L14 you are lucky to have free access to it.

don't know about welding it, but it silver brazes just fine. or at least it did for me.

if you hold the heat on it for a long time you will see it start to sweat a little. pretty sure that's the lead in it starting to melt but that never caused any issue with me on brazing it.

and the stuff seems to rust faster than cast iron will, but also seems to polish back back up quickly for me. but ive never left the stuff out in the rain or anything. probably wouldn't use it for say a water cooling jacket or anything - but air/oil cooled i would think it would be fine for in that case.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:45 AM   #14
jayville

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Hi all,,back many years ago I used to weld bright leaded steel with arc...the electrodes where called sulphur rod here in oz perhaps they have a different name elsewhere.if we didn't use these rods we would end up with a lot of porosity,I would weld required items for the machinists and they would machine them up with no problem...cheers clem

Old 04-20-2018, 05:55 AM   #15
kiwi2

Liked 75 Times on 44 Posts

Hi,
I'm also a fan for leaded steel because of the fine finish you get on the lathe. I haven't welded it but I have successfully brazed it using bronze with no problems.
It really does corrode. I used a piece of 1" round as an axle for the wheel on my wheelbarrow which is stored outside. After a year or so, there was less than 1/4" left - it was really spectacularly bad.
Regards,
Alan

Old 04-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #16
Engineeringtech

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't think most people know most of the small threaded fasteners used in electronic devices, watches, etc. used to be made of leaded steel, precisely because it machines so well, including the fine pitch threads.

McMaster sells 12L14, and 41L14 "free cutting" steels. The latter is as easy cutting leaded version of 4140, and is stronger than 12L14. They also sell 1215 alloy which is a non leaded "free cutting" steel. Does not cut as easily, or leave as nice a finish as the leaded steels, but worth a try if you're bothered by the very minimal amount of lead alloyed into 12L14 and 41L14. I should note that free machining brasses also contain lead.

As for the corrosion, I wasn't advocating using it in an outdoor application. It does not rust any faster than non-leaded steels, and the fact that you can put a better finish on it delays the corrosion. Less surface irregularity, the less opportunity for rust to start.

You CAN case harden leaded steel, but it doesn't absorb the carbon as readily as some unleaded steels.
Rudy Likes This 
Old 04-20-2018, 11:42 PM   #17
Herbiev
Administrator
HMEM_ADMIN.png

Liked 291 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 97

I always use leaded steel for anything requiring machining A real pleasure to work with