Project of the Month built by mirek111

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Showing Them > Photos and Videos > Newbie's first engine.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:25 PM   #11
CrewCab

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts

Default Re: Newbie's first engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Munro
a warco wmt300 which is one of those combined lathe/milling machines. A bit of a compromise, but space was limited.
very capable machine non the less Ian, I was going to buy the Chester equivalent but happened on a second hand 9 x 20 lathe just before I ordered it, so I then got an X2 mill to keep the lathe company ............. it's a slippery downhill slope though now, .......... there's always more tooling / improvements to buy and do and then things to build with the new tools ............

CC

Old 07-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #12
eleqim

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Aye, there's not enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to, but I guess i've got to wait another 25 years before I can give up the day job

Anyway I have success again! Turns out the piston is triangular, or at least the piston and cylinder certainly aren't circular. If I rotate the piston through 180 degrees it works, rotate it back and it doesn't. I knew the finish was a bit dodgy
Now i'll just have to remember to mark the correct way round, and check if there's a similar issue with the valve.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:47 PM   #13
rake60
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 220 Times on 195 Posts

Very Well Done Ian!

I have built that engine, TWICE!
No runner yet.

Rick

Old 07-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #14
Twinsquirrel

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
As for the milling, I bought a warco wmt300 which is one of those combined lathe/milling machines. A bit of a compromise, but space was limited.
Well it certailnly turns out some nice work

Old 07-28-2008, 10:05 PM   #15
Brass_Machine

Liked 33 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hey Ian!

Thats a nice looking engine. 1st eh? very well done.

Eric

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

A still more glorious dawn awaits...-Carl Sagan

Old 07-28-2008, 11:44 PM   #16
NickG

Liked 31 Times on 42 Posts

Hello,

That is fantastic for a 1st engine. I have a flame licker based on Jan's design next on my list, however, I've just finished my first stirling engine and that only runs with ice cubes on the cold end and meths burner, it might work if I finish the water jacket off and use cold water completely submersing the displacer cylinder.

Anyway, my point is that to get a flame licker to run on your first attempt is top notch. They are notoriously difficult, I don't really fancy my chances considering my experience with thr stirling! At least with Jan's I know a few people have had success with it though.

As John said, his twin cylinder one looks good and think he has sorted the valve tumbler mechanism now, just waiting for the plans as he reckons he will tweak it such that it should be virtually guaranteed to run so long as it's machined to a good standard with the correct fits etc.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:15 AM   #17
Mcgyver

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

way to go Ian, looks good. Always a great accomplishment to see them run - whats next?

Old 07-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #18
eleqim

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What next? Well probably another Ridders. The problem with going to his site is you think 'Oh! that looks nice to build!', then you look at the next and think 'Oh! that looks nice to build!' and a few minutes later you've got a very long list
Next will probably be one of those lamina flow engines or a LTD stirling because it's not obvious from just looking how they work, but I'll be cheating on these as i've got a couple of those carbon piston glass cylinder air pot thingies. The lamina flow one is looking more tempting at the moment as I haven't worked out a good way to machine true the perspex ring yet.
I quite fancy one on those test-tube marble things, but haven't found a source for ceramic balls yet.
One of Jans IC engine would be nice too
Oh and a conventional stirling and also a poppin flame licker as they make a nice sound.
That should be enough for a while

Old 07-29-2008, 09:51 AM   #19
Bogstandard

Ian,

Following a lead by GailInNM I got some of these. Absolutely perfect fit for the 16mm test tubes. They are very lightweight and don't knock the bottom out of the test tubes. They also seem to be indestructable.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Trumark-tracer...3286.m20.l1116

They are so cheap it isn't worth not having any in stock.

John

Old 07-29-2008, 10:22 AM   #20
eleqim

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for that link John!
I've Just ordered some.
As i've already got some 16mm pyrex test tubes, it looks like the next project's been decided