Project of the Month built by driller1432

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Machine Modifications > Motorized milling machine head

Old 10-24-2017, 09:13 PM   #11
john_reese

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
John, my mill is probably smaller than RF45. When I think of it.. I have an old powerfull Snapon battery impact wrench. Maybe the guts in it could fit the bill. For fine adjustment I use the quill handle and crank. The head can move pretty fast.
Rudy, could you remove the shaft for the crank and mill a square or hex on it? Then you could use your cordless drill directly on the shaft. Then fit your existing crank with a matching square or hex sleeve so you could use the crank for fine adjustments.

an alternative might be to replace the crank with a handwheel. You could then make an adapter for your drill to engage the spokes of the handwheel.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:32 AM   #12
Rudy
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 46 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I want a permanent solution and I will relay on the motor only. So the crank can go. I don’t need fine adjustment, the quill has its own handle and even fine adjustment hand wheel. The head is just for coarse settings.
I made an adapter yesterday to fit a cordless drill to the 15mm round shaft. I wanted to test if the drill was powerful enough, it was, but it had to work hard. The speed was OK so I think a wiper motor will be too slow (a powerful cordless drill is not exactly a cost efficient solution if you attach it permanently as I would have done). Since the position of the crank, alternatively a cordless drill in its place, is located in a way so that I have to hold it on a straight arm, the drill will try to break my arm if I’m not holding tight.
I’m searching on for a AC geared motor.. DC motors will require a large power supply.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:15 PM   #13
deeferdog

Liked 196 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Hi Rudy, just a suggestion but if possible I would aim to achieve fine adjustment for the Z axis using the head adjustment. The quill can be kept in the up position and locked when milling. I was always led to believe that this results in a more rigid, and therefore more accurate setup. Cheers, Peter.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:59 PM   #14
Herbiev
Administrator
HMEM_ADMIN.png

Liked 269 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 88

This might work https://m.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-AC220V-4...-/172451779384

Old 10-25-2017, 10:44 PM   #15
john_reese

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Rudy,
Don't rule out the DC gearmotors. The PWM control is only about 100mm square and 50mm high. A laptop power supply is adequate, or a wall wart.

If you never intend to use the crank for fine adjustment your project gets a lot easier. I would like to hear from you what arrangement you finally decide on.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:09 AM   #16
Rudy
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Deeferdog, I didn't think of it that way.. However, I often set the head as low as possible and do the fine adjustment on the quill, and locks it. Fine adjustment on the head would do both. If I make the motor with variable speed I could actually make it.

Herbiev, yes, this is probably what I'm looking for. This shop had a lot of various versions. Maybe I will go for a bit faster and more powerful one.

John, If a suitable DC motor drops down in front of me, I can easily dig up a power. In the case I have to spend money I can probably get by the need of an extra power by going for AC. However, no doors closed. I will keep you updated :-)

Old 10-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #17
john_reese

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Rudy:
How about these:
https://www.amazon.com/Makermotor-Sh...ar+motor&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-JCF63R...=dc+gear+motor

Old 10-30-2017, 07:42 AM   #18
Rudy
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for suggestions John and Herbiev. Very close. Hovewer, I tested the speed when I operated it with my cordless drill. It was 500rpm. That felt like the right speed for fast moving of the head. So if i get a 500 rpm motor with variable speed I could make a joystick and have it all. So I figure this one: (220V AC, 500rpm, CV/CCV, variable speed).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/182588676663?var=485155911557

Hopefully 120W is enough.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:47 PM   #19
petertha
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 197 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Maybe I am misunderstanding but its not just about the rpm. You need the gear reduction so it can apply sufficient torque & the motor is operating within its efficiency/specs. Some right angle reduction assembly's were suggested, this kind of shows the guys of an in-line planetary gear if you could find one to harvest.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V-...873263343.html

Old 10-31-2017, 09:31 PM   #20
Rudy
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Good idea Petertha. However, the item in the link wasn't available any longer..
Based on the test i did with my powerfull 18V cordless drill, in first gear it produced 500 rpm (I measured with a rev counter). It really had to strugle to manage so I assume the power needed is relatively high at this speed. If I use lower speed and lower gear ratio, the motor power can of cause be reduced. An AC motor at 500 rpm is geared only 1:3 - 1:4 something, and that will demand more wattage from the motor.
I'm still in the thinking stage..