Project of the Month built by mirek111

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > General Engine Discussion > Sieg x3

Old 04-13-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
firebird

Liked 76 Times on 76 Posts

Default Sieg x3

HI

An opportunity has arisen whereby I can purchase a Sieg x3 mill (new) at a very advantageous price. Too good to miss really. While I can manage what I am doing on my x1 mill at the moment I envisage larger projects in the future. I am aware that there is going to be a substantial increase in the price of these machines later this year. Has any one got one of these machines? Are they as good as they look? Any advise will be most welcome.

Cheers

Old 04-13-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
Andy_B

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Re: Sieg x3

firebird:

I have the SX3 from Grizzly. Their model 0619. I think it's a great little machine. Of course I'm a novice at metal working and spend most of my time making copies of all the neat tools that you guys post on the board here.

I have a Smithy 1220 XL lathe with the mill attachment but got the SX3 because it made it easier to do a milling operation without having to setup and break down the milling setup if I want to do something on the lathe.

I would recommend getting the powerfeed with the SX3. It saves a lot of cranking on my old arms.

Cheers

Andy

Old 04-13-2008, 01:29 PM   #3
DICKEYBIRD

Liked 60 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've had an X3 (Grizzly G0463) for 16 mos. and absolutely love it It's a very capable machine. Mine came without the gas strut on the Z-axis and I fabricated a compound pulley/counterweight system to ease the load from the head when cranking Z up & down. Unlike the stock configuration, the Z can now be run up & down very easily. Here's a pic

Hopefully the one you're looking at has as an R8 spindle? R8 tooling is plentiful and cheap.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
firebird

Hi

I am looking at #3 morse taper as I already have a lot of #2 morse taper tooling that could be used with the purchase of a very cheap adapter sleeve. R8 doe's appear to be the way to go but buying the X3 mill is stretching the budget already without having to buy all new tooling. I think it has the gas strut fitted already.

Cheers

Old 04-13-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
Cedge

Liked 60 Times on 59 Posts

Firebird
I currently own one of these mills in R-8 configuration. I was also tooled out for 3MT, but I made the switch for less than I figured on. I bought a set of R-8 /ER collets and a R-8 arbor for my boring head on Ebay (see seller 800watt) and I was right back in operation. I've already come to like the R-8 for its ease of use. One gentle tap on the draw bar and it's free of the spindle, unlike the tightly wedged MT3 taper. I had the same concerns as you before making the move, but I'm sold on the R-8 now.

I can certainly say that I've not regretted buying the X3 mill. It is proving to have been an excellent move.

Steve

Old 04-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
Powder keg

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts

I had a mini mill with a mt #2. You'll kick yourself if you don't change to the R-8.

Wes

Idaho:o)

A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
firebird

Hi

Iv'e just looked on a tool suppliers web site and R8/2mt adapters are available so I might take your advice and go for r8.

Cheers

Old 04-13-2008, 05:02 PM   #8
Cedge

Liked 60 Times on 59 Posts

Firebird
I thought long and hard about going with the same adapter. It was pointed out to me that although I'd have the ease of the R-8, that bloody MT shank is going to be tough to get out of the sleeve once it's in there....LOL. Make sure the sleeve has a slot so you use a wedge can get the MT back out, once its in there.

I'll probably wind up getting one so I can use my old collet set along with the new one, but for now I'm happy as a clam at high tide with the switch. Since my lathe is an MT set up, the old tooling is not going to waste.

Steve

Old 04-13-2008, 08:41 PM   #9
Philjoe5
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I've had a Grizzly X3 (Model G0463) for 6 months and use it a lot. It was an upgrade from a minimill. I like it very much and it is a capable machine. The only downside to mine is the R8 spindle. It has been reported elsewhere so it is not a rare thing. Their specifications for it are on the tight side, so you may find a lot of R8 tooling will not fit . Some say it's the registration pin sticking too far out - just grind it down. There's more to it because I nearly removed mine and I still can't get my face mill (also from Grizzly) or any of a number of R8 collets into that spindle. I took a chance and bought an inexpensive ER-32 collet chuck and luckily it fit. So my collet problem is solved.

Grizzly was kind enough to send me a replacement spindle but it actually is more restrictive so it will need some machining to make it work. It is a minor flaw to an otherwise grand machine in its class.

Cheers,
Phil

Old 04-13-2008, 10:39 PM   #10
zig 2007

this is off the question but what do you mean price increase i am going to purchase a sieg lathe will there be an increase in price on them as well?