Project of the Month built by Rustkolector

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Showing Them > A Work In Progress > Brian does Ridders flame eater

Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM   #21
CFLBob

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rupnow View Post
This mornings work yields a pretty little brass flywheel. The best thing about it was that the material was "left over" from the Stirling engine. I try and salvage every little short left over piece of material that I can.
That's pretty.

One of the pains of this hobby is buying metals to work on. I just did an order with Online Metals for parts that will end up in my Duclos engine and really hit a brick wall looking for 3-1/2" aluminum for the flywheel. The smallest piece I could get from Online Metals was $65 - for like an 11" cutoff scrap that I'd need to cut 1" off. I found a guy on eBay that would sell 1" slice for $12 - $7 for the cutoff and $5 for shipping. If I had that brass you had, you'd better believe I'd be using it just like you did.

Manual Sherline 4400 and LMS 3540 lathes - no plans to CNC

Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM   #22
Brian Rupnow
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 4043 Times on 3213 Posts
Likes Given: 37

CFLBob--Whenever I need little bits of this or that, I buy a foot of it. It keeps the metal supplier from going crazy, and the stuff I have left over from each build always finds its way into the next build. Even at that, the average "little engine" I build costs me about 50 to 100$. By the time you buy the material and the bearings and any other bits necessary, it adds up. That is why I sell my engine plans. It's never going to make me rich, but it does help with the cost of material.---Brian

Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM   #23
Brian Rupnow

And to wind up the day--A couple of "in process" shots of the 316 stainless cylinder.

Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM   #24
el gringo

Liked 95 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Brian, is it possible to purchase your 'imperialized' plans? I have Ridders metric drawings of this enginne but I hate to translate as I go during the build as I have with his nice drawings the past.
Ray M

Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM   #25
Brian Rupnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gringo View Post
Brian, is it possible to purchase your 'imperialized' plans? I have Ridders metric drawings of this enginne but I hate to translate as I go during the build as I have with his nice drawings the past.
Ray M
Ray--I've been thinking about that one. The plans are certainly the intellectual property of Jan Ridders. However, It took me over a days work to model everything and create inch friendly versions of the plans. I think it would be okay for me to sell the inch version of the plans, as long as the purchaser is aware that I didn't come up with the original design in the first place. I would advise you to wait until I finish building the engine, because I quite frequently change the plans as the engine is built, if I see a better or easier way of doing something. I will have the engine finished probably within the next two weeks, and the drawings all updated by then. Contact me at brupnow@rogers.com when you see that I have the engine finished. The cost will be $25 Canadian funds, paid to Paypal

Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM   #26
el gringo

Liked 95 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Thank you, I understand and look forward to your finish...should I do the paypal thing now?
I am also very interested in the imperial conversion of his 'puppy mk2'

Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM   #27
Brian Rupnow

No, don't pay any money until my engine is finished and the drawings properly updated. Just watch this thread. When you see my engine running, then do the Paypal thing.