Project of the Month built by mayhugh1

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Tools > Tee nuts/studs from scratch

Old 08-28-2017, 11:36 PM   #31
kwoodhands

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would buy the clamping set. You can also buy separate sizes of studs and T-nuts if needed. I have made T nuts from aluminum stock for lighter duty applications. I hold a Dial Indicator with a T-nut on the mill instead of a magnetic base which often gets in my way. Another use for the light duty T-nuts is to hold a lever valve on a compressed air line to cool the cutter on the mill.
I imagine you do not have a mill yet. Though it is possible to mill with your lathe it is not practical for inexpensive tooling like t-nuts.
mike

JCSteam Likes This 
Old 08-29-2017, 12:20 AM   #32
JCSteam

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Thanks Mike, nope no mill, a rough list of tooling I own.
Lathe, faceplate x2, clamps, lathe dog, 4" 4jaw, 3"3 jaw, 3"4jaw hand tightened, various tapered drills, a couple of tapered reamers, lots of taps and a few dies, (some worn some ok), lots of HSS boring bars, cutting tools. Set of rough cut files, small fine cut files, general screwdrivers, and also a 1-13mm drill set. Not a lot for my £300 eh?

If you ain't gathered yet I'm a poor machinist, lacking knowledge and funds. But one thing I always have is enthusiasm, I got loads of that lol.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:04 AM   #33
bmac2

Liked 496 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Hey JC in some ways youíre in luck. Looks like back in the 50ís no one had any money. Just lots of enthusiasm and a willingness to develop a skill (sorry no APP for IOS or Android) A lot of people were turning to books like the ones David Gingery and others wrote to make their own metal working machines. To me DIY or shop made tooling just means lighter cuts and slower feed rates.
In June 1957 Science and Mechanics ran this article for a lathe milling attaching from cold-rolled flat bar. I was very close to starting one before I found a used mini mill cheap.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Science and Mechanics lathe-milling-attach.pdf (1.67 MB, 45 views)
JCSteam Likes This 
Old 08-29-2017, 04:03 AM   #34
goldstar31

Liked 305 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 485

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac2 View Post
In June 1957 Science and Mechanics ran this article for a lathe milling attaching from cold-rolled flat bar. I was very close to starting one before I found a used mini mill cheap.
Just to expand the subject. L C Mason was the Tractor bloke and also wrote several books, one of which was Building the Small Lathe. Again, he wrote screeds of stuff on machining in Model Engineer.

Very readable, very accomplished.

I recall reading his bit in ME on how to set a lathe tool to give a fine finish--- without hitting the proper centre height of the tool.

JC MUST read him and many other contributors

N

JCSteam Likes This