Project of the Month built by driller1432

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Whats Left? > The Break Room > Future small aircraft engines.Wich way?

Old 11-16-2017, 04:51 PM   #61
Rheanr4

An interesting thread. Especially for me. I have been flying behind a Continental O-200 for the past 10 years here in the USA. I see no reason that I won't be flying behind that engine in the next 10 years.

Reg

Old 11-16-2017, 05:19 PM   #62
Niels Abildgaard

Liked 92 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOB View Post
I didn't see this question asked, so pardon me if it has. Why a V configuration? It shakes. A 180 degree flat twin does not shake. See http://sense.net//~blaine/twin/twin.html

WOB
Rigth, but a flat two or four torques.
The difference you feel sitting in a C 172 with either a 6 or 4 cylinder engine is due to different reaction torque variations.
A 90 degree V2 two stroke will be closer to a 6 cylinder than a 4 cylinder four-stroke torquewise.
A fourstroke flat 4 does not shake but a 4 inline does two times per rev.
A 90 degree V2 twostroke will shake two times per rev one fourth of what the corresponding inline 4 fourstroke would have done.

Niels

Old 11-16-2017, 05:24 PM   #63
Niels Abildgaard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheanr4 View Post
An interesting thread. Especially for me. I have been flying behind a Continental O-200 for the past 10 years here in the USA. I see no reason that I won't be flying behind that engine in the next 10 years.

Reg
People from lower and envious classes will considder leaded fuel criminal.
Future aircrafts designers will be led astray by lower engine and fuel mass.

Niels

Old 11-18-2017, 10:46 PM   #64
99Norton

Likes Given: 8

Hello,
I've just been reading this thread and noticed there was no mention of the Rootes TS3 which is a great design which with modern materials could be made even lighter.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/die...terts3/ts3.htm

Old 11-19-2017, 09:13 AM   #65
Niels Abildgaard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Norton View Post
Hello,
I've just been reading this thread and noticed there was no mention of the Rootes TS3 which is a great design which with modern materials could be made even lighter.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/die...terts3/ts3.htm
There is an awfull lot of highly loaded bearings that do not rotate but oscillates.
Two strokes with reasonable piston speeds gives push all time and no pull where an oscilating bearing can be lubricated.That is why small petrol two strokes have needle bearings in piston.

Niels